Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

What parameters and controls is a tuner actually changing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Danno-23

Default What parameters and controls is a tuner actually changing?

Disclaimer- I know nothing specific about any tunes, or tuners. I am simply looking for advice, and explanation.

I am curious as to how the parameters and control systems are altered in the ECU by the tuner. How is a tune set up any differently if a car has long tube headers vs stock exhaust manifolds, and so on.

Recently purchased a used tuner with Steeda intake, and I am about to order for my "Lifetime Tunes".
I am worried people are mistaking their car being "livened up" for a change in throttle response. After all, it would be awfully easy to give the impression to someone the car has all kinds of power by shortening the throttle deadzone, and increasing sensitivity. Company "D" does it with all their gas pedals. Most notably on the 300 series cars, if you have ever driven one.
So is the "increased throttle response" simply shortening the sensitivity zone on the drive by wire system from say a 3 inch travel, down to 1.5 inches giving a false impression?
I see no reason why a flash tuned car should be "hard to drive slowly around town". I cant see the timing being advanced that much with the cam phasers.

Someone please provide an explanation!

Thanks in advance

-Edited Nov 4, 2013.

Wow, so it looks like no one understands what a tuner is actually changing? Maybe I should elaborate more.
How does it make more power? Adjust cam phasers so intake and exhaust shafts are advanced? Advance or delay spark timing?
How does it adjust throttle? Increase controller input gain? Increase applied voltage to electronic throttle body to make it respond and rotate faster?

Cant think of any more, defaul traction control?

Last edited by Danno-23; 11-04-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:04 AM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

You're asking my kind of questions. I am an Engineer and I want to learn specifically what is going on. Both for my curiosity and for my betterment. I have an SCT tuner w/ Bama tunes and have been having a pinging issue, so I really want to start learning about this. I was on the SCT site and I saw they offer training but is there any free resources that I can sharpen my pencil on?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

On these late model cars, there is a ton of stuff being changed to achieve the desired results.
Spark calibrations, fueling calibrations, dialing in the output curve of your MAF and any other sensors that have been changed, electronic throttle controls, torque management...all of these have an effect on the power the car will make and how it will feel.

Alot of people dont get the 'feel' part, but without it, you can add power all day, and the car wont be any more fun to drive than it was at stock power levels.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:15 PM
synthejim

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
On these late model cars, there is a ton of stuff being changed to achieve the desired results.
Spark calibrations, fueling calibrations, dialing in the output curve of your MAF and any other sensors that have been changed, electronic throttle controls, torque management...
Mike- I just got an older Predator U7141 for my 2010 V6 and applied the 87 Octane Performance tune (noticeable difference!). Is it safe to say that all of the above were adjusted? What was not adjusted that I could go in and adjust manually (things like cooling fan, etc)?

Thanks!

-Jim
2010 Mustang V6 Brilliant Silver,
Pypes X-Pipe, GT Mid-pipe, FR SVT Touring Mufflers, GT frt sway bar, K&M CAI, Diablosport Predator tune, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT/hands free/bkup cam, and a long wish list!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by synthejim
Mike- I just got an older Predator U7141 for my 2010 V6 and applied the 87 Octane Performance tune (noticeable difference!). Is it safe to say that all of the above were adjusted? What was not adjusted that I could go in and adjust manually (things like cooling fan, etc)?

Thanks!

-Jim
2010 Mustang V6 Brilliant Silver,
Pypes X-Pipe, GT Mid-pipe, FR SVT Touring Mufflers, GT frt sway bar, K&M CAI, Diablosport Predator tune, Pioneer AVH-X2500BT/hands free/bkup cam, and a long wish list!
Yes, those are all standard adjustments in our provided tunes

Get some good gas in there and try the Diablo 93 tune...
Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 PM
synthejim

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Yes, those are all standard adjustments in our provided tunes

Get some good gas in there and try the Diablo 93 tune...
Will do! Thanks!