Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Looking to buy a tuner and need some advice

Old 06-06-2014, 09:27 AM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

Default Looking to buy a tuner and need some advice

Hello fellow Mustang enthusiasts. i have a very broad question as to which tuner you would recommend and why. I understand there are numerous companies claiming to have the best tunes and it is not like they have a "try before you buy" mentality, but would like to hear from you all, who uttilize these on a regular basis, with an unbiased opinion.

Not interested in running my car on a track. The only other things I will be doing to my Mustang for the time being is a CAI and axleback exhausts.

Thanks for any input you may provide.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Well, we offer some great tunes right out of the box for your 14 GT. You'll notice better all around performance, better throttle response, better shifting if its an auto, and more.

We also offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so, you really can't go wrong
Old 06-07-2014, 09:15 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

There are really only 2 major players in this field as far as the "handheld" unit go...Diablo and SCT.
SCT seems to be the preferred choice of Mustang owners from 05-up as there seems to be more aftermarket shops certified to tune and use this device.

Aftermarket companies like AM, Brenspeed, LMR, Lethal Performance (to name a few) all buy the handhelds from these 2 companies, then enlist the help of their dedicated tuners to write the files that are loaded onto the handhelds, specific for your car and modifications.

Aftermarket Tunes:
You'll get the most for your money getting a package or "tune for life" program, as these companies will sell you the handheld, with tunes for a very reasonable price. This will also give you the flexibility of being able to upgrade the car and have the tunes re-written "for free" to match the mods.
They are very safe tunes, but must still be considered "canned" since they are specific mostly to the modifications.

Custom Dyno Tuning:
If your serious about getting the most out of your car, this is the way to go. Performance shops will either sell you the handheld, or you can buy it yourself, without the tunes. There will be an additional cost for a dyno session and tuning the car at the shop. What you gain here is the ability of the tuner to "dial in" the car specific to the mods and specific to relative humidity, temperature in your area, other variables, etc.
Every car reacts differently, so this little bit of "fine tuning" can add up to a 5-10 HP difference. You also gain the benefit of talking to someone in person who can truly understand your driving habits, direction for the car, quirks, etc. Not only do they know you, they know the car. The only problem here is, every time you want a revision or modify the car, you're shelling out about $250 for the dyno session.

You'll get great results no matter which way you go. It's just a matter of deciding what your goal is for the car...short term and long term.
Most of us here have a handheld with tunes from one of the aftermarket companies. Some of us have ventured out and had custom dyno tunes written to see the difference, etc.
The great thing about all of this is...it's a file written for a programmer to re-flash your cars computer. You can save the files forever and those who have written them exclusively for you will also have them backed up, so you always have something to return to or work off of.

Do your research on the aftermarkets companies and make a decision based on your needs.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 AM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

Thanks Steel Pony for the input.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:29 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

When you purchase the SCT Tuner from Steeda ... it comes with tunes for life.

It is a great product & our tunes speak for themselves - 0 warranty issues when our tunes have been installed on a customers car.

You can send me an email at tim@steeda.com if you would like to discuss further via email.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 07-18-2014, 01:20 PM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

I can get my hands on a Diablosport T-1000 for a reasonable price with the factory tunes. I have researched them online, and I have noticed some people stating they paid to get it unmarried from their vehicle in order to sell it. I used to run an tuner with the factory tunes in my F250 and didnt need to do that when I sold it to a buddy. Do I need to ensure it is unmarried with the stock factory tunes or is it just bogus info? I thought it is just plug and play, just like the previous one I had as long as the tunes weren't specifically designed for his mods.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dslpow3r
I can get my hands on a Diablosport T-1000 for a reasonable price with the factory tunes. I have researched them online, and I have noticed some people stating they paid to get it unmarried from their vehicle in order to sell it. I used to run an tuner with the factory tunes in my F250 and didnt need to do that when I sold it to a buddy. Do I need to ensure it is unmarried with the stock factory tunes or is it just bogus info? I thought it is just plug and play, just like the previous one I had as long as the tunes weren't specifically designed for his mods.
It marries to the vehicle it is tuned to until the stock tune is restored to that vehicle, which unlocks it.

if it is sold without restoring the stock tune to the vehicle to unlock it, it can then be unlocked for $179 through our website.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2014, 08:03 AM
dslpow3r
1st Gear Member

Makes sense thanks for the insight Mike@Diablosport.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:02 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dslpow3r
Hello fellow Mustang enthusiasts. i have a very broad question as to which tuner you would recommend and why. I understand there are numerous companies claiming to have the best tunes and it is not like they have a "try before you buy" mentality, but would like to hear from you all, who uttilize these on a regular basis, with an unbiased opinion.

Not interested in running my car on a track. The only other things I will be doing to my Mustang for the time being is a CAI and axleback exhausts.

Thanks for any input you may provide.
I purchased an SVT handheld tuner through American Muscle and I love it. I got the X4 for $375ish with the forum members discount. If you buy through American Muscle, you will get free tunes for life with no additional cost. So everytime you upgrade your vehicle, give American Muscle a call, fill out the form, and you get an email with your new tunes a few days later. Can't beat it. I've heard mixed reviews about diablo. Personally, I think they're crap compared to SCT. Do a bit of research on the SCT tuners. I would highly recommend them.