Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Markups on Tuners & Cold Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:25 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by spectreman
I recently talked myself into an aftermarket CAI w/the SCT-X4 & tunes, mostly because I got a pretty good price deal. And because my car is my daily driver, I won't be doing much else performance-wise to the engine to increase power. I just wanted to maximize its current, NA goodness.

Frankly, I'm not convinced the CAI did anything other than increase intake noise, as it is much louder than the stock box. I've had CAI's before and never experienced this much intake noise tho; it might be due to the heat extractor vents in the hood but it is, none-the-less, much noisier.

The manufacturer is a high quality company & in their ads they claimed X HP/torque increase w/their tune & CAI. Mine didn't come close to the claim, instead coming in @ a much lower level, albeit one I had been told/read was more realistic. From that aspect, they were just about on the numbers.

Ford makes a strong claim to their intake box as being very efficient & I almost believe them. Perhaps you can pick up a few ponies up top but if you aren't racing the car, and I don't, is that of any value to you, especially @ the cost of a CAI?

I haven't dyno-tuned my car yet- that's next. We'll see if the CAI shows something of value in that venue.
Lee
I looked at a new Mustang Bullitt on Ford lost back in '08 & it had a CAI on it! Then the service manager told me if I put a CAI on my car it would invalid the warranty. Luckily that service manager is gone!

Roush superchargers have a CAI & different tune you can choose. It invalidates the warranty & adds 15 HP. Hard to know what to believe since they all have a $$$ incentive!

Old 12-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Explosive

I would agree generally a CAI by itself isn't going to get you a ton, maybe a handful. But I would generally do it in search of the slight gains and hopefully some throttle response. I don't really like ant bolt on by itself but once you have a good number of bolt ons and a good tune you will notice some gains.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:19 AM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Pairing an aftermarket CAI, throttle body, and supercharger together is a way different situation than just throwing an aftermarket CAI on a stock motor.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
Pairing an aftermarket CAI, throttle body, and supercharger together is a way different situation than just throwing an aftermarket CAI on a stock motor.
Absolutely! I suspect the greater the volume of air the greater the advantage of a CAI, & maybe exhaust system.