Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Affect of "Driver Modes" on a tune??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Affect of "Driver Modes" on a tune??

I wonder how "Drive Modes" affect a "tune"? It seems like they could detune your after market tune when a moderate "default Drive mode" setting kicks in, which happens as a default every time you restart your car. So-oo if a tune was added to when in "track + Mode" setting in the computer then what happens when you choose "track + mode"? Does it add on to the "Track + Mode" settings possibly causing too much advance, or other settings causing problems like predetonation, etc.??? It be a reason NOT to buy a Premium for anyone that is going to put a tune on their car! I'm considering a Roush Supercharger so "Inquiring Minds" want to know!

Does anyone have an explanation of how "Drive Modes" will affect after market tunes?

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-03-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

The modes generally make changes to things like shift points/pressures, and throttle feel, etc.
They generally have no effect on power output.
The pcm still uses the same timing/fuel/torque control parameters, but there are generally modifiers for the different modes to affect the shifting or throttle feel, etc.
If you load a tune and dyno it in all the modes, power output will ideally be the same no mater which driving mode you choose.

I have not dug into the Ford modes myself, but on GMs for example, you can individually adjust the shift points and pressures for the different modes, so you could have smooth stockish shifts in touring, and firm, aggressive, high rpm shifts in Sport, etc.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
The modes generally make changes to things like shift points/pressures, and throttle feel, etc.
They generally have no effect on power output.
The pcm still uses the same timing/fuel/torque control parameters, but there are generally modifiers for the different modes to affect the shifting or throttle feel, etc.
If you load a tune and dyno it in all the modes, power output will ideally be the same no mater which driving mode you choose.

I have not dug into the Ford modes myself, but on GMs for example, you can individually adjust the shift points and pressures for the different modes, so you could have smooth stockish shifts in touring, and firm, aggressive, high rpm shifts in Sport, etc.

Thanks
Thanx Mike for your response,

If I understand you correctly, "Driving Modes" should have no affect on a tune such as altering timing or anything that would be a problem after an aftermarket tune is installed?
Old 05-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

Correct.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:32 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Correct.
Thanx for your polite responses! Makes me want to buy DiabloSport!
Old 05-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Former Sponsor

I try