Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

Knock Retard w/Steeda Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:05 PM
kirk35
1st Gear Member

Default Knock Retard w/Steeda Tune

After bolting on my Steeda CAI and loading the 93 octane tune, I decided to do some data logging. I was surprised at the amount of knock retard showing up during normal driving.

Here is a screenshot of the first log.

Knock Retard Histogram

I will definitely be doing some more data logging to see how consistent the problem is.

I went ahead and created a few more custom PID's and Histograms so I can see what effects this tune has really had on the car.

Anyone else data logged with a "custom" mail order tune? What did the logs look like?

I'll update this thread with more findings (good or bad) as I have time to log and analyze. I would also suggest to anyone with a mail order tune (from any vendor), that you spend some time data logging and seeing what is going on with your car.

Last edited by kirk35; 05-28-2015 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Edited due to ignorance
Old 05-28-2015, 05:27 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Hello Kirk,

Our team is currently reviewing the logs that you sent over & we appreciate your feedback on the forum.

To clarify, the knock retard you have discussed above is the car adding timing.

Also, the negative numbers that you are referencing ... that is actually the car adding timing and not pulling it.

We have written many tunes over the years & that is the reason we have become one of the leaders in the performance engine tuning business.

We write our tunes to be powerful, reliable & safe ... so that they will not cause damage to your investment.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 05-28-2015, 06:02 PM
kirk35
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the clarification TJ.

I'm coming over from the GM world and HP Tuners, but I've never seen a Knock Sensor PID show added timing. Is there some adder table in the Knock Sensor PID that shows increased timing? I'm accustomed to seeing only KR displayed not Knock Advance. I can't even comprehend advance showing up in a KR PID, it is counterintuitive.