Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

2011 GT is a CAI really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 10:58 AM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Default 2011 GT is a CAI really needed?

OK guys, just recently picked up a 2011 Mustang GT Convertible automatic and going to get a tune and maybe a CAI.

I have been reading and it appears some people believe that a CAI is a waste of time with the current mustangs. I have read that a tune plus a good oiled air filter like K&N will basically give you the same results as a CAI and tune.

So I am getting ready to order either just a tuner and an Oiled K&N Filter for my stock box, or maybe get a CAI/Tuner package. Please weigh in with your thoughts and opinions.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:07 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Get a converter!
Old 11-26-2015, 06:08 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Get a converter!
What is a converter?
Old 11-27-2015, 05:37 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I'm not that familiar with the 2011, but newer models may not need a CAI! How far that goes back you'll have to check! As to a tuner, the specs on increase in HP & Torque for that year should tell you. I had an '08 & a tuner was worth the money. On a 2015/16, I don't think a tuner or CAI is worth buying. You need to do some research on that "specific year" based on how much restriction in air it has & increase in HP with a tuner before spending money that won't give you much "bang for the buck"! If I had to guess, I'd say tuner yes, CAI no ....., but that's just a guess! Do the research! Someone might be able to tell you, but don't rely one tests done by the maker of the CAI. Intake noise is not power! Good luck!
Old 11-27-2015, 07:30 AM
Phillip123
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggy14
What is a converter?
In order to reduce air pollution, modern automobiles are equipped with a device called a catalytic converter that reduces emissions of three harmful compounds found in car exhaust: Carbon monoxide (a poisonous gas) Nitrogen oxides (a cause of smog and acid rain) Hydrocarbons (a cause of smog)
Old 11-27-2015, 07:41 AM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I'm not that familiar with the 2011, but newer models may not need a CAI! How far that goes back you'll have to check! As to a tuner, the specs on increase in HP & Torque for that year should tell you. I had an '08 & a tuner was worth the money. On a 2015/16, I don't think a tuner or CAI is worth buying. You need to do some research on that "specific year" based on how much restriction in air it has & increase in HP with a tuner before spending money that won't give you much "bang for the buck"! If I had to guess, I'd say tuner yes, CAI no ....., but that's just a guess! Do the research! Someone might be able to tell you, but don't rely one tests done by the maker of the CAI. Intake noise is not power! Good luck!
2011 have the same engine as the current cars. When I had my 2008 yea the CAI and tuner were really important, I still think the tuner is but not so sure about the CAI, now I am just pondering whether it is worth the extra $240 for the CAI over just a K&N oiled filter.

Only thing that is pushing me towards the CAI is according to brenspeed, with the steeda CAI they are getting an extra 15 HP over some of the other CAI's they have.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:29 AM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Phillip123
In order to reduce air pollution, modern automobiles are equipped with a device called a catalytic converter that reduces emissions of three harmful compounds found in car exhaust: Carbon monoxide (a poisonous gas) Nitrogen oxides (a cause of smog and acid rain) Hydrocarbons (a cause of smog)
Ah ok I know what a Cat Converter is, just not sure why you said get one, i have one already unless you are saying get an after market one
Old 11-27-2015, 06:01 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggy14
What is a converter?
Replace your stock torque converter with a higher stall torque converter. I have a Circle-D torque converter in my 15 and it is easily one of the best mods you can do to an automatic transmission car. Its more pricy than a Cold air intake but the performance gains are huge compared to the 3-7HP you gain in the upper rpm range. Just give you an idea of the performance gain. My best run was 12.1 with intake tune. It was 11.80 after the converter and I only got to the track once with the converter so I think there is more to be gained.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:12 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

IMO, the 2015 & 16 do not benefit from a Tuner or CAI based on "Bang for the bucks"! On a 2008 they do! You have to study how much restriction their is in the air intake & how many HP/Torque will be added to the engine by a Tuner! Go get the facts!

Old 11-29-2015, 05:17 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

What tuners put out the most H.P./Torque increases on a 2016 GT? It doesn't look like they do much for the 5.0L Coyote Motor at this time! Am I wrong? Teach me!

Quick Reply: 2011 GT is a CAI really needed?