Tuner Central Have a question about which hand tuner is best for your Mustang? Talk about it here!

#8 cylinder problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 06:53 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Default #8 cylinder problem

OK spent the weekend reading about this but never found out if we have put a stop to it or if we determined if it only happens to tuned vehicles.

So what is the latest information on it? I just picked up a 2011 and was going to order the brenspeed tune and steeda cai but now having second thoughts.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:54 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

what is this problem you speak of?
Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 AM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
what is this problem you speak of?
It seems some 2011/12 mustangs where killing the #8 cylinder with a tune and ford even sent out a TSB on what to look for and to deny warranty if a mustang had been modded and the cylinder was shot.

Here is one thread, you can just google search Mustang #8 Cylinder issue and more will come up.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...need-help.html
Old 11-30-2015, 08:56 AM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

quoted from a post about this on another forum FWIW. i am a fordt tech, and have yet to see a 5.0 fail, a few 6.2's in trucks, but no 5.0 in anything

FYI: The poster you linked 19kobra99 was the guy that made up the majority of the #8 cylinder failure threads on nearly every mustang site. He's also the guy that said his car was stock and never tuned but he was lying. While he backtracked and deleted all his pre-engine problem posts where he clearly stated he had an aftermarket tune he didn't count on the fact that some people quoted his posts which were fairly easy to dig up on a few of the sites. There's a reason Ford didn't warranty his repair as he had a tune and he also lied to them about it. Moral of the story is if you are going to tune your car and post about your tune on the internet when you have engine failure be a man about it and don't be a little weasel and try to cover it up as the truth always comes out.

You are going to find no shortage of people posting all sorts of issues with a performance car that sells in the numbers of a Mustang. The engine tick is an issue yes but it hasn't caused any failures. Some cars have used up to a few quarts of oil during break in yes. Cylinder #8 failures have not been confirmed on a stock car.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:47 AM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwog666
quoted from a post about this on another forum FWIW. i am a fordt tech, and have yet to see a 5.0 fail, a few 6.2's in trucks, but no 5.0 in anything

FYI: The poster you linked 19kobra99 was the guy that made up the majority of the #8 cylinder failure threads on nearly every mustang site. He's also the guy that said his car was stock and never tuned but he was lying. While he backtracked and deleted all his pre-engine problem posts where he clearly stated he had an aftermarket tune he didn't count on the fact that some people quoted his posts which were fairly easy to dig up on a few of the sites. There's a reason Ford didn't warranty his repair as he had a tune and he also lied to them about it. Moral of the story is if you are going to tune your car and post about your tune on the internet when you have engine failure be a man about it and don't be a little weasel and try to cover it up as the truth always comes out.

You are going to find no shortage of people posting all sorts of issues with a performance car that sells in the numbers of a Mustang. The engine tick is an issue yes but it hasn't caused any failures. Some cars have used up to a few quarts of oil during break in yes. Cylinder #8 failures have not been confirmed on a stock car.
Yeah I read through it, but obvious there was a problem with it or AM/BAMA would have not come out with the warranty and talked about it, it seems every car that had the issue which seems about 8 or 9 according to threads was tuned when it happened. This is the reason I am trying to get more information before I buy a tuner to make sure if I run an 87 tune I will be fine.