V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2.5 or 3 inch exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 01:12 AM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust?

ORIGINAL: Verado

Changing the tips will not do squat! I find it retarded if people think they do!
Like jthorn said, its the muffler that give the tone/noise not the tips!!
maybe that's why ford hired their engineers instead of you to design exhaust for sound.

there was a very lengthy article by the head engineer at ford on how they developed the 05+ exhaust and delved into the mechanics of it in MM&FF i believe within the last year. look it up and learn

do you know anything about constructive/destructive wave lengths? anytime you cange any parameter of an acoustic system it will change the sound. and the smallest chenge in the system may change the sound profoundly.

take a piece of 1/2" copper pipe and blow through it like a trumpet. then cup your hands around the end and vary the shape of your hands around the end to see if the sound changes. it will change.

again any change in the system physically will make a change acoustically. anybody who thinks otherwise should take some physics before they are too quick to make any claim that it makes no difference.

think about it. a muffler change will change sound. adding an H will sound different. adding an X will sound different. why do you think that because it's at the end of the pipe it won't make a difference when in reality the end of the pipe will have a major role to play in sound

i'm gonna assume that you believe that a trumpets bell is for decoration instead of sound attenuation
Old 08-04-2006, 02:11 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

A trumpet bell is made so that you can just stand the trumpet on the ground without it falling over. J/K, sorry had to say it. Now let's get in detail about changing tips. When we refer to changing the tips, that literally means cutting the tips and welding or bolting on another tip that's larger or smaller in diameter, that doesn't include running into pep boys and mounting a 6" long tip on the end, that will no do squat to sound. That's the type of tip I was referring to.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:14 AM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

A trumpet bell is made so that you can just stand the trumpet on the ground without it falling over. J/K, sorry had to say it. Now let's get in detail about changing tips. When we refer to changing the tips, that literally means cutting the tips and welding or bolting on another tip that's larger or smaller in diameter, that doesn't include running into pep boys and mounting a 6" long tip on the end, that will no do squat to sound. That's the type of tip I was referring to.
actually that 6" tip will make it sound different.

any change to the system will affect sound. it's pure physics. the only way it won't sound different is in a vacuum
Old 08-04-2006, 04:35 AM
deezelnut
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: cobra232

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

actually that 6" tip will make it sound different.

any change to the system will affect sound. it's pure physics. the only way it won't sound different is in a vacuum
well said