V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2.5 or 3 inch exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 08:32 PM
FBCBEER
4th Gear Member

Default 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust?

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/exhaust.htm

I am looking at the MAC exhaust system for my v6. I want to get the 3 inch pipe but I dont want it to be too big so there is no resistance. How much louder would this exhaust be than the stock exhaust. I want the exhaust to RUMBLE.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:34 PM
MyStangStanks
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust?

ORIGINAL: FBCBEER

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/exhaust.htm

I am looking at the MAC exhaust system for my v6. I want to get the 3 inch pipe but I dont want it to be too big so there is no resistance. How much louder would this exhaust be than the stock exhaust. I want the exhaust to RUMBLE.
From everything that I've been reading, you should do an Off Road X-pipe with teh 2.5". It's something like that. I'm sure someone with the experience will post some first-hand knowledge up.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:35 PM
deezelnut
I ♥ Acer

2.5' should be fine. the MACs sound good anyways. unless you are going to do some major mods, you probably won't ever need the 3'
Old 07-30-2006, 08:37 PM
BeachStang04
4th Gear Member

Id go 2.5. Honestly half the people that have plans to put enough mods on there sixer to need 3 inch pipping dont ever get around to building up the sixer before they get a gt or cobra or even diff car. Id go 2.5 and if you do end up going f/i and having some heavy internal work then i would change to a 3, but for now stick to the 2.5.

EDIT: also you dont need an x pipe or h pipe or any of that **** really, i bougth the 2.5 y pipe true fit catback form macperformance.com and its sounds awesome. Deep grumble, not to loud inside (can hold a conversation), and turns lots of heads even just cruising. Well worth the money and best bang for the buck if i had to do it over again id get the same exact system.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

um, for a stock 3.8, you will loose torque by switching to true duels, a freind of mine has done dyno runs before and after to prove this
Old 07-30-2006, 08:44 PM
MyStangStanks
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BeachStang04

Id go 2.5. Honestly half the people that have plans to put enough mods on there sixer to need 3 inch pipping dont ever get around to building up the sixer before they get a gt or cobra or even diff car. Id go 2.5 and if you do end up going f/i and having some heavy internal work then i would change to a 3, but for now stick to the 2.5.

EDIT: also you dont need an x pipe or h pipe or any of that **** really, i bougth the 2.5 y pipe true fit catback form macperformance.com and its sounds awesome. Deep grumble, not to loud inside (can hold a conversation), and turns lots of heads even just cruising. Well worth the money and best bang for the buck if i had to do it over again id get the same exact system.
Yeah that's what I'm going to be going with as soon as I get enough money from selling these two cars I have. Anyone interested? lol
Old 07-30-2006, 08:45 PM
deezelnut
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Twister

um, for a stock 3.8, you will loose torque by switching to true duels, a freind of mine has done dyno runs before and after to prove this
post 'em.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

let's see the dyno sheets

hahaha i'm really slow, deez posted the same thing 5 minutes ago
Old 07-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

I am e-mailing Scott right now
Old 07-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Verado
3rd Gear Member

I find that extremely hard to believe. The only way you will loose torque would be by gutting the cats which will cause for less backpressure.

Quick Reply: 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust?