V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Hood Scoop Installation guide

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 01:11 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Default Hood Scoop Installation guide

This step by step tech article was provided by Turkeyboy.
Thank you Kevin.
[sm=smiley20.gif]

Alright guys sorry in advance for the lack of pictures but I did it and then had all kinds of questions on it afterwards so i did the best I could but here is an hood scoop instalation guide

Hood scoop Installation

I started out by finding a hood scoop off of Ebay...

I paid 175 for mine shipped, then I had to get it painted due to the fact that they don't make GT hood scoops for my color.
First I did some research and found out that the 00 v6 hood and GT hood are the same, except they just slap a hood scoop on the GT. when you take off the cover under the hood of your care there are indents placed for where the hood scoop holes should be drilled....

First take the black covers off so you can take the hood cover off.

Once you get the cover off you can see about the indents I talked about before, there will be two in the back and that is for the back screws on the hood scoop

Once you locate them, wash the top of the hood and make and take a small nail and from under the hood center the nail in one of the back indents, then pound a dent into the top of the hood, just enough so you can see where it from the top the hood. Take some 2" masking tape and tape over the indent and across to the other place you will be drilling. Place the hood scoop on top of the masking tape and mark the hole with a pen on the masking tape then take the nail you used previous and make an indent so that you can see where you need to drill, do this for every hole you drill, the masking tape will help keep the paint from on top of the hood from cracking as you drill. Once you have marked every hole (9 of them) you can start drilling. Drill one at a time and double check your markings once you can fit the hood scoop into the holes. Keep in mind you need to keep the hood scoop centered.
Once you have drilled the holes take off the masking tape and place the hood scoop in place and tighten the bolts you get with the kit, It should fit over the stock grill that is put on. After you are done replace the hood cover make sure you put all of the black caps into place, and then you are done, here is a pic of the finished product.

any questions feel free to Pm me

Here is the active thread >> HOOD SCOOP INSTALLATION GUIDE