V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

something strange is going on? Read the being and respond

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 02:25 AM
kintek
2nd Gear Member

Default something strange is going on? Read the being and respond

Do Not Give Stupid Remarks as a response, read this entirely and give a reseonable answer thanks.

Ok as most of you know my 95 3.8 5 speed has been down since the end of july.

Well on halloween I decided after i pulled out the battery and charged it for 2 days since it was completely drained of energy. I stuck it back in the car. Started up and then I got a bright idea to put it in reverse. This is where it gets really stragne, the car jerked a couple times and died, then i started it up again. It had suddenly started to move, I backed it all the way to the driveway. I couldnt get it out of gear when I first backed it up 5 feet, but after going 2 car lengths it came out.

I put it in first after that and It moved without jerking and dying. I went and drove it down 2 blocks and went through 1, 2, 3rd gear just fine, then back to the house. Let it idle for a bit in nuetral which I was shocked it didnt die when I disengaged the clutch. So I then went and hit the highway and drove a couple miles out of town and back, shifted to all 5 gears with no problems or getting stuck either.

That was only part of it though lol. I noticed that every time I engaged the clutch it wasnt making noises, but when I disengaged the clutch it was making a scrapping/grinding noise like something was pushing on the pressure plate or clutch plate.

So Im trying to figure out what is up with my car. Since I couldnt get it to go into or out of any gear a couple months back and now Its able to move.

I read in my haynes book that it maybe the transmission housing seal thats possibly leaking, since I had fluid all over the back of the transmission/front of the drive shafts input. No I didnt see if there was fluid in the tranny still, cause I figured it all leaked out but now im not sure. Some people said that a throw out bearing may of popped on it too. Im thinkiing my grinding noise is the clutch pressure plate being messed up some how or something inside the tranny is loose.

Let me know thanks.

Emmett
Old 11-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: something strange is going on? Read the being and respond

What happened to your trans cause it could be a few things?

Mike
Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Could be several things, but I know how to fix it, GET YOURSELF A NEW CLUTCH........ If you get a new clutch, not promoting the company, but such as Spec Stage 1, it comes with everything you need for installation, then get the flywheel resurfaced, and have a shop do the work, that way you're warrantied if they F up. Also have them change out the bearings, because it sounds like it could be a combination of things wrong with the clutch. Could aslo be the sychros, but I'm not 100% sure on that. But in short, new clutch, new seals, and new bearings for the win.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:31 AM
kintek
2nd Gear Member

Thanks jt,

Thats what I was planning on doing, just have to get up the money. I know its not the sychros cause there were not making noises as i put it into the gears at all. I cant afford a shop to do the work, cept for the flywheel resurface, I can get all the rest done at my friends house.

I'll have things figured out on the 12th, when my friends and I drop the trans and clutch.

Mike my trans locked up in 5th gear going down the highway at 70 mph and i wouldnt come out of gear and the car was slowly droping speed and then eventually died all together.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:09 AM
da1nonlysteven

Sounds like the throw-out bearing is going bad to me
Old 11-05-2006, 05:12 AM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: da1nonlysteven

Sounds like the throw-out bearing is going bad to me
ditto or pilot bearing

also torn engine mounts can misalign everything and possibly cause it to be stock in gear but most likely the TO bearing
Old 11-05-2006, 05:23 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Hows the pedal pressure on the clutch?? Does it feel any different.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:04 PM
kintek
2nd Gear Member

it didnt feel different to me at all. my dad thought the throw out bearing also. So I'll check things completely at my friends on sunday 12th.

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Hows the pedal pressure on the clutch?? Does it feel any different.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:04 AM
johnt2k7
4th Gear Member

instead of spending a load of money trying to find out whats wrong and the petal is a little funny try bleeding the slave drive on the transmission
Old 11-06-2006, 01:14 AM
kintek
2nd Gear Member

thanks on that, but to let you know, as i said before, im not buying anything tell after the 12th when my friend and I do a tear down on this. To inspect it.

Plus Im kinda wondering whats up cause this shouldnt of happened, and when the original owner ask you how long it lasted running tell this happened throws up flags to me. I use to work with the guy at my first job I ever had. That was like a couple weeks or so maybe more after the problem occured.

I was planning on upgrading things on the car anyways, so this just makes me do it now instead of later, and I'll do it right the first time around on the stang, unlike my cavalier.

ORIGINAL: johnt2k7

instead of spending a load of money trying to find out whats wrong and the petal is a little funny try bleeding the slave drive on the transmission

Quick Reply: something strange is going on? Read the being and respond