V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Do all gears need

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:08 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Default Do all gears need

do all gears need a motive bearing kit to be installed.Is there just gears where u throw em on and just go(meaning just replacing the stockers?) I kno its kinda a dumb Q but i`m a noob when it comes to gear installation
Old 01-05-2007, 06:23 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Do all gears need

there is only one gear, and its in your rear end
Old 01-05-2007, 06:28 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

I gota make my self clear here lol

3.75,4.10s or 4.55s , do they all need the bearing kit to be installed?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:19 AM
deezelnut
I ♥ Acer

you buy an install kit and it should come with everything. but if you go gears go with 4.10s and a posi. you will also need gear fluid and someone who knows what they are doing so it doesn't **** up
Old 01-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Baron von Munchausen
3rd Gear Member

No, you do not have to use an install kit when changing rear gears. It largely depends on your vehicle mileage, i.e. if you have an '04 that you purchased new, and have relatively few miles on it (say around 20000 miles or less), you can re-use your original bearings. I did so on my own Mustang when the rear gears were changed, but I had a very knowledgable installer and left the matter up to his judgement. If you're going to change the differential toa limited- or no-slip variety when you change the rear gears (and shame on you if you don't), then yes, I would buy the installation kit and havethe bearings changed at that time as well.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:55 AM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Baron von Munchausen

No, you do not have to use an install kit when changing rear gears. It largely depends on your vehicle mileage, i.e. if you have an '04 that you purchased new, and have relatively few miles on it (say around 20000 miles or less), you can re-use your original bearings. I did so on my own Mustang when the rear gears were changed, but I had a very knowledgable installer and left the matter up to his judgement. If you're going to change the differential toa limited- or no-slip variety when you change the rear gears (and shame on you if you don't), then yes, I would buy the installation kit and havethe bearings changed at that time as well.
bad advise. ALWAYS USE AN INSTALL KIT. the kit includes all the shims necessary as well as seals,gasket, and crush sleeve as well as new bearings. when you install gears or a differential you will always need new shims,seals,crush sleeve,and pan gasket and the installer will get new ones to put in which bought separatly will cost more than a full install kit with new bearings.

don't be stupid and cheap. always use an install kit when replacing the gears and or differential. i would nbever trust a rear with re-used bearings. i will use used gears as they are quite strong as long as there are no chips out of them but to re-use bearings is just dumb
Old 01-05-2007, 11:01 AM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mvr

there is only one gear, and its in your rear end
wrong. there are a total of 6 gears in most rear ends. ring and pinion and 4 spyder gears
Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Baron von Munchausen
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cobra232

bad advise. ALWAYS USE AN INSTALL KIT. the kit includes all the shims necessary as well as seals,gasket, and crush sleeve as well as new bearings. when you install gears or a differential you will always need new shims,seals,crush sleeve,and pan gasket and the installer will get new ones to put in which bought separatly will cost more than a full install kit with new bearings.

don't be stupid and cheap. always use an install kit when replacing the gears and or differential. i would nbever trust a rear with re-used bearings. i will use used gears as they are quite strong as long as there are no chips out of them but to re-use bearings is just dumb
Wrong.....your intentions may be good but your statement is wrong. I have personally done rear gear changes in old-school Fords, andthus have some degree of experience in the matter myself. I have also had no problems whatsoever in having re-used the original bearings in my present 2003 vehicle, after more than 40,000 miles on them along withthe new FRPP 4.10's that went in at the same time.

Also I've learned on the internet to not use the word "dumb" as you must do....it is frequentlyusedby those whose arguments are lacking in substance or actual experience, which is somewhat surprising in your case since you seem to be an otherwise good source of information. However, in this case, your statementis wrong, not dumb, just wrong.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:25 AM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cobra232

Wrong.....your intentions may be good but your statement is wrong. I have personally done rear gear changes in old-school Fords, andthus have some degree of experience in the matter myself. I have also had no problems whatsoever in having re-used the original bearings in my present 2003 vehicle, after more than 40,000 miles on them along withthe new FRPP 4.10's that went in at the same time.

Also I've learned on the internet to not use the word "dumb" as you must do....it is frequentlyusedby those whose arguments are lacking in substance or actual experience, which is somewhat surprising in your case since you seem to be an otherwise good source of information. However, in this case, your statementis wrong, not dumb, just wrong.
i have installed quite a few rear ends and you are trying to tell me that you don't need new bearings? sorry that is just dumb. like i said you need everything else to install the diff or gears anyways and they are more expensive to purchase separately so it is smarter to just buy the install kit and throw the new bearings on. that way you have eliminated the chance of re-using a bad bearing.

for god sake how long does it take to press the new bearings on?? not even 5 minutes. also when you take the bearings off of the stock differential to reuse them on the new differential they may become damaged when you press them off and you can't even tell they are damaged. so in the time it takes you to press off the old bearings i will have already pressed on brand new bearings on the new differential. again you way just doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it.

yes if you already have the differential in the car that you want and just want to change gears if you are under 30,000 miles you can get away with reusing the bearings but why chance it over $20 worth of bearings.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Baron von Munchausen
3rd Gear Member

Whatever, agree to disagree and go on

Quick Reply: Do all gears need