V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

3.73, 4.10, or other, owner opinions preferred!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:38 AM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

Default 3.73, 4.10, or other, owner opinions preferred!

Okay, I think I've decided the route I'm going to take. I'm gonna go for an NA, but built V6. Dunno what displacement I'll end up at, but it will be GT beating power when I'm done, even if that means I have to supercharge or turbocharge, but the goal is to do it NA (possibly with a really built motor?)... anyway, 300 to 500 horses. Won't take it much past that, but this car will be a street racer. Not a track or drag racer, just a low profile hopefully semi-sleeper street racer. The question I have is, those of you who HAVE 4.10 or 3.73 gears, which have you found to be more pleasant?

I already think first gear is a pain in the ***. As soon as I luanch I'm shifting, but I find that second, third, and fourth are very enjoyable. Fifth is gutless, and I'd be willing to handle a steeper first if it meant fourth and fifth were stronger gears (and usable in racing). Either way, if upgrading these gears is advantageous, I need to get it done when I install the true trac. I've decided that a 6 speed tranny isn't really worth the time/effort/cost, so I'm gonna stick with stock t-5 and hope for the best. *shrug*

Lastly, is a lightened drive shaft and/or rear axle worth the money? Also, what is the benefit of buying one of these, and would I appreciate this benefit? Is it just the casing,ordoes it have a mechanical interaction with some of the moving parts?(this may come off as a completely rice question but I'm simply exploring all possibly avenues of drivetrain optimization)

Lastly, I'm on DTS, and I guess I have three brands available, FRPP (from stangmods), DTS (from DTS), and Motive (from DTS and I think another vendor). Seems motive is the cheapest, but I don't want that to be a factor in my decisino when it'll account for a 40$ difference. Especially not when I'm paying double for a True Trac as opposed to a FRPP trac loc.

I've asked some of these questions before but never really got any clear responses. Some argued 4.10 was too steep and others said it wasn't steep enough. So, for my needs and intended application, what would the professions here at MF suggest?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:25 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 3.73, 4.10, or other, owner opinions preferred!

go with 4.10s

and just LOL if your going for more then 220 rwft.lbs of torque on a tlok[sm=icon_rofl.gif]id recomend talking to ford about a frequent clutch rebuild kit for it
Old 01-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Jugador
5th Gear Member

there aren't hardly any professionals here. you'll mostly get a bunch of kids opinions who don't have aftermarket gears at all. get what you want. if you don't know what you want, do more research. thats just my opinion on the matter.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:56 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

I have 4.10's on mine, and I think they're too short. I'd prefer to thow my 3.73's in, I'm just out of money for that right now. with 4.10's 1st gear is pretty much just for show, you're almost shifting before the 60'.

Ryan
Old 01-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Baron von Munchausen
3rd Gear Member

Gears are the only part of your intended mods thatI am familiar with on a V6, and I recommend 4.10's based solely onmy experience with them. As mustangman02232 indicated, consider a tougher locking differential rather thanthe OEM Ford T-Lok unit if you're heading for 300+ HP.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:39 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

If you decide to go with 3.73's, I have a brand new still in the box set that, since I'm out of money, I can't install. Only opened the box to look at em lol

Ryan
Old 01-16-2007, 10:55 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Put in 4.56's and youll keep up with stock gt's right now
Old 01-16-2007, 10:58 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: aynjell

Okay, I think I've decided the route I'm going to take. I'm gonna go for an NA, but built V6. Dunno what displacement I'll end up at, but it will be GT beating power when I'm done, even if that means I have to supercharge or turbocharge, but the goal is to do it NA (possibly with a really built motor?)... anyway, 300 to 500 horses. Won't take it much past that, but this car will be a street racer. Not a track or drag racer, just a low profile hopefully semi-sleeper street racer. The question I have is, those of you who HAVE 4.10 or 3.73 gears, which have you found to be more pleasant?
4.10s. Hands down man. Youll be plenty streetable and itll really help.

Lastly, is a lightened drive shaft and/or rear axle worth the money? Also, what is the benefit of buying one of these, and would I appreciate this benefit? Is it just the casing,ordoes it have a mechanical interaction with some of the moving parts?(this may come off as a completely rice question but I'm simply exploring all possibly avenues of drivetrain optimization)
No need to redo the rear axle. Just gears so long as ur have a posilock. An alluminum driveshaft would help so i say go for it.

Lastly, I'm on DTS, and I guess I have three brands available, FRPP (from stangmods), DTS (from DTS), and Motive (from DTS and I think another vendor). Seems motive is the cheapest, but I don't want that to be a factor in my decisino when it'll account for a 40$ difference. Especially not when I'm paying double for a True Trac as opposed to a FRPP trac loc.
Its pretty much up to you man

Old 01-16-2007, 11:12 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

6ers are open sadly, ford was actually smart to put an open diff in cause the torque would burn up the clutches in the tloks, so open diff = less chance for warrenty

just like to add, that was also confirmed by a local tranny shop
Old 01-17-2007, 12:20 AM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Baron von Munchausen

Gears are the only part of your intended mods thatI am familiar with on a V6, and I recommend 4.10's based solely onmy experience with them. As mustangman02232 indicated, consider a tougher locking differential rather thanthe OEM Ford T-Lok unit if you're heading for 300+ HP.
I said in my first post that I decided on a True Trac.

Lastly, I'm still considering the viability of a 6 speed. I unno, for some reason it just appeals to me. If it helps me make higher ratio gears streetable that's even better. I'll only do it if it's useful to me in the long run, though.

Quick Reply: 3.73, 4.10, or other, owner opinions preferred!