V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

DPFE sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Baron von Munchausen
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: DPFE sensor

ORIGINAL: cobra232

it's turbulence through the MAF. you either need to put a screen infront of the sensor or go back to the stock intake setup

if the screen doesn't work then try a straight filter mount to the MAF. It is a fender CAI correct? the 90 degree bend in CAI's are known to give turbulence at low speeds like at idle or coming up to a stop sign. too much turbulence and the meter gives incorrect fuel air demands and the car stumbles and stalls
The K&N CAI is essentially a straight mount to the MAF. I mentioned the screen because that was a common problem with the K&N Aircharger used on Mach 1's, including mine. Many found that re-installing the screen cured the problem. I didn't know if that issue might possibly have extended to V6 models as well, but would seem possible. That said, we've used a K&N FIPK II CAI on my wife's '04 V6 for over two years with no stalling issues, and no screen installed.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:32 PM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Baron von Munchausen

it's turbulence through the MAF. you either need to put a screen infront of the sensor or go back to the stock intake setup

if the screen doesn't work then try a straight filter mount to the MAF. It is a fender CAI correct? the 90 degree bend in CAI's are known to give turbulence at low speeds like at idle or coming up to a stop sign. too much turbulence and the meter gives incorrect fuel air demands and the car stumbles and stalls
The K&N CAI is essentially a straight mount to the MAF. I mentioned the screen because that was a common problem with the K&N Aircharger used on Mach 1's, including mine. Many found that re-installing the screen cured the problem. I didn't know if that issue might possibly have extended to V6 models as well, but would seem possible. That said, we've used a K&N FIPK II CAI on my wife's '04 V6 for over two years with no stalling issues, and no screen installed.
every car is different though and i would lay $50 that he is having turbulence issues in the MAF.

there is an easy way to tell. just put the stock intake and filterbox with MAF back on the car and if it runs fine you know it's turbulence
Old 02-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Baron von Munchausen
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Baron von Munchausen

every car is different though and i would lay $50 that he is having turbulence issues in the MAF.

there is an easy way to tell. just put the stock intake and filterbox with MAF back on the car and if it runs fine you know it's turbulence
I definately agree, because the sypmtoms he described fit the stalling issues I had almost to a "T"