V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Looking to build sleeper. Most important mods??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Greenx98xV6

Default Looking to build sleeper. Most important mods??

Hey everyone. I am new to this forum. I have been on many car related forums in the past few months, and I am still looking for one that has many knowledgeable, reliable, and friendly members. I hope you will suite me! To start things off let me tell you a little about my situation.

I am still pretty young,and I am a huge car guy. I go to school full time and also have a part time job. I have a fairly small income so modifying cars is a little more difficult and slower for me.

I drive a green 1998 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6. No modifications have been made for it, except for a new head unit for my speakers and some underglow LED lights.

I am looking to get into some autocross. I have no clue where to begin on my car. I do not want my car to be some loud sounding muscle car that seems to have 400+ horsepower. I want my car to be a sleeper. A car that the guys think , "Haha let me show this kid how to really race." and then I want to show them up. Here is what my plans are for my car.

Keep it single exhaust, but mabey put a good muffler on it to make it sound better
As much torque as possible, as I plan to run autocross and I do not believe a ton of horsepower is necessary
Keep it as simple as possible and as cheap as possible.

Here are the main parts I plan on adding, they are basic bolt ons.

- Cold Air
- Gears - What ratio of gears would you suggest? Something to get the job done, but I dont want to lose all my gas either
- Short Throw shifter
- Tuner - Any suggestions as to brands? I know that SCT and Xcalliber are pretty much a given
- Lowering Springs - Any other aspect of the suspension that will greatly affet the handling?

If I am missing something please let me know. Like I said keep it simple and cheap, no turbos or whole new intake manifolds, I am on somewhat of a budget.

Oh, and if you could help me out to the order to put them on would be helpful, if it matters much.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2007, 12:18 AM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking to build sleeper. Most important mods??

your not gonna gain hardly anything from all that. all together it wont be bad but its still not much. you wont be showin very many people up. im sorry to say that and dont mean to be an *** its just the truth.

it does sound like a good list to start with though.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Flake6899
5th Gear Member

200 shot of nitrous :]
Old 05-01-2007, 12:27 AM
02MustangV6DD
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Flake6899

+1
Old 05-01-2007, 12:27 AM
flash20
5th Gear Member

during auto crossing?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:33 AM
WhitePony02
3rd Gear Member

Cheapest way is nitrous, but that's a serious sleeper because its a stock mustang with a shot of nitrous. Personally I think nitrous is cheap to win a race, because its not horsepower that you have all the time.

If you are handy with powertools and have patience you can port and polish your own heads and/or intake. It will add some power, but not enough to consider your car a sleeper. Gears and a t-lok or LSD would make your car quicker (no actually hp gain though), but once again your car won't be a sleeper.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Greenx98xV6

Well alright then, all things set aside, what would you all reccomend to make my car better for autocrossing. Should I go straight up suspension so I can corner harder, or just more horsepower.

Any luck a random turbocharger froma junkyard would work in my car? If it would what additional modifications would I have to make in order to apply the turbo?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Flake6899
5th Gear Member

O oops haha nvm I didnt see the autocrossing part just about it being a sleeper....
Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 AM
tims 88 4
4th Gear Member

if you wanna blow it up in a half a heart beat
Old 05-01-2007, 09:54 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

OK first of all, you DO NOT want a single exhaust, it will cause you more problems than good. Serriously, getting 400 rwhp on a 98 is gonna be fairly hard as you're gonna have to do nearly every mod in the book. To keep it simple you need a Stage 3 kit from www.supersixmotorsports.com, and probably a 16 or so PSI turbo charger. Read around on the forums, there are tons of post about what to do to gain power, but to put it simple

Ported Upper/Lower intake
Ported Heads
Agressive as hell cam .512/.520 or larger
Nice boost from either a turbo charger or super charger, in your case a turbo would be more effive.
Forged Internals

Also, you won't have much of a street car, so I hope you don't plan on keeping this a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Looking to build sleeper. Most important mods??