V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Can we use the IAC restrictor gasket trick to quicken our RPM's too?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:32 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default Can we use the IAC restrictor gasket trick to quicken our RPM's too?

Hey everyone;

I have known about the IAC restrictor gasket for a long long long time now. I know they work great on GT's and Cobra's and Mach1's (Where I got my experiance from.)

But I was wondering how well this will work with our V6's.
It would be great if it worked the same way but I would rather ask you guys instead of wasting my money on gasket material to do it myself.

Thanks everyone.

-Eric-
Old 05-01-2007, 04:37 AM
gizim_1132
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Can we use the IAC restrictor gasket truck to quicken our RPM's too?

What exactly do they do maybe I will want to do it to my 94
Old 05-01-2007, 07:08 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Can we use the IAC restrictor gasket truck to quicken our RPM's too?

well what it does is it makes your RPM's fall fast like they should on an unrestricted engine, it also causes an engine brake affect, meaning when you let off the gas the car will slow itself down more than it did before because the RPM's have dropped and while the clutch is engaged (Or in D) then the engine will want to go back down to idle doing so creates a load and slows the transmission, driveshaft, diff and ultimatly the tires down.

Its better for racing and overall drivability, it could cause you to fail smog in which case you just slap a stock gasket in its place before going to get your smog down. Easy easy.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Sparks232
2nd Gear Member

id like to know more about this, if it would work for our cars, id definately buy one.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:50 PM
raz54
4th Gear Member

How would that work when you turn on the AC? The IAC is what speeds up the motor so it doesn't die. I don't see how doing this would improve driveability, when the IAC screwed up on my ranger it was really jerky when shifting up or down. Does it block it off totally or just cut it down? Not saying it won't work, just asking some questions.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:52 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

It leaves one side the stock size sothose issues like that dont occure. The restricted side is 5/16" in diameter if you make one yourself. You can make a temperary version just out of some gasket material if you want before buying the $15 dollar one from ebay. ( Search for Mach 1 IAC ) and you will get it to pop up.

Here are pictures. The Large hole is placed on the side where the canister is.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:48 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

ive thought about it before....i dunno if it would work on the 6. i could make one this weekend and try it out. as long as i remember to do it.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:04 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

sure that would be awesome, im still a little bit out from getting the new engine tuned so I cant try it out for a couple weeks.

remember if it doesnt work the first time just flip the hole to the other side, I have heard a few V8 guys say they had that problem and then fix it that way.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:29 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

My rpms fall kinda quick on thier own...how fast are you talking
Old 05-01-2007, 06:51 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amrcnidyot

ive thought about it before....i dunno if it would work on the 6. i could make one this weekend and try it out. as long as i remember to do it.
If you have good results I'll give you $10 to send me one.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Can we use the IAC restrictor gasket trick to quicken our RPM's too?