V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

94-98 VS 99-04 Header guide!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:20 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Once and For All 94-98 VS 99-04 Header guide! STICKY!!!

When it comes to aftermarket headers get what fits your car, no need to do all the custom modding for those. If you dont have the cast for aftermarket shorties for your car and you have a 99+ then this mod is ideal for you.

If you live in a state where there is no smog regulation then I say go for the long tubes, they are one of the better mods for your car. The LT's with midpipe and GT takeoffs will put a kick in your pants

If you already have other mods done like CAI, TB, any kind of portwork and higher ratio roller rockers the kick will be magnafied.

More in More out

Old 05-14-2007, 08:14 PM
v6procharged
2nd Gear Member

im looking to get LTs ceramic coated and which should i get 94-98 or 99-04. i got true duals flows. 2.5 in.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:55 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Just get the ones that fit your application year, in that case it doesnt matter too much, you are going to need to get a Midpipe anyways. I am pretty sure that MAC makes their LT collector size 2.5" so I think your safe there

This header guild mainly applies to those who have a 99-04 model and are looking for extra performance cheaper than they can with aftermarket headers. It also shows the 94-98 guys that their headers are great as they are and really dont need to purchase a $400 dollar set of shorties
Old 05-14-2007, 11:26 PM
v6procharged
2nd Gear Member

ok appreciate your 2 cents lol
Old 05-15-2007, 12:10 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Anytime
Old 05-15-2007, 05:54 AM
Kikandross
1st Gear Member

Thank you very much for the information, I appreciate this.
I am here in LA and for me to get a set of 94-98 set of headers and to get them coated cost almost as much as the aftermarket headers.
I am still looking though. Furthermore I am trying to get the most bang out of a buck.
Thank you again.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:15 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

If you dont have smog in your state get the Mac long tubes and the Mac midpipe. Get the one that fits yours year.

If you are a 99-04 Model and want shorty headers then get 94-97 headers and save a ton of money. You will need to do a little modification like extending the EGR tube and having a shop expand the collector flanges on the Y-Pipe.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:12 AM
i_drive_stangs
3rd Gear Member

ok so i have learned that the collectors on my 98 are 2.25". does that mean that the first set of cats are 2.25" in/out or not? and are the first set of cats consiterd "pre cats" or are they? also if i got the magnaflow cats would i need all four to be legal. all four meaning the first set of cats then the magnaflow cats or could i just use one magnaflow cat on each tube and be legal?

thanks sean.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:06 PM
2004 V6 3.9
3rd Gear Member

1. how much HP do you get from LT's + H-pipe + dual exhaust?

i've asked before but i also just want to make sure:

2. if i get a catted H-pipe i'll pass emissions?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:42 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I am not sure about the size of the ID / OD of the cats, mine were stolen while I ate dinner one night by the kid down the street (Cops didnt do anything, after they left I watched them take it away in their van.) I do believe that they are though.

You will need all four cats in the same spot and same length on the Y-Pipe to pass in California, I dont know if its that way for other states. Being that California is the benchmark for smog I would stick with that set of rules. I would however make a set of test tubes so that you can slip two or all out whenever you feel like it.

I had to modify that ceramic coated 1995 BBK O/R X-Pipe that I had to fit my headers after the Y-pipe was stolen. I had a local shop weld smaller flanges on to accept the female header flange. I brought a bare 3.8L block in with a set of heads bolted on it and the headers so they could fab it up perfectly. They also raised the front of the block 3 degree's to simulate how it would sit in the car. Everything was perfect and it even lined up to the trans mount perfectly.

Starting the car the first time with the new engine, ported heads, intake, plenum and headers was crazy! It sounded like I had a 5.8L with a mean MEAN cam in it. I even got the cops called to my house where they cruised by repeatedly. I took it around the block just once and off idle it felt like that 03' GT 5spd that I had test driven. So the torque and low horsepower was there but I never got out of 3rd or higher than 30mph. I am having some fuel problems right now with my CPS and I will be changing that this week.

At higher rpm's it begins to sound high pitched but thats fine I just need gears now.

2004 V6 3.9L: I dont know the exact gains for LT's and dual exhaust, its greater over shorties for sure but not smog legal in California even with cats. In California you need to keep your cats in the same place as factory, doesnt matter if you put 20 cats on your car, if you moved them it wont pass inspection.

Now chances are that no one will ever look under your car (Except a Cop) for cats that arent in the right place so thats why I suggest two sets of exhaust if you can afford it. One that is emisions compliant and one that is built to how you like it with test tubes. That way if you get a Fix-It-Ticket then you just pay the $25 dollar court fee and the $20 dollar inspection fee and put your stock exhaust back on. After you pass then do what you want again.

What we are going to do with the BBK X-pipe is get two high flow cats and clamp them in the stock lower location and leave the uppers out. We will still pass smog (Maybe anyways) and we will only have to get two cats. If we ever go through inspection or a cop should become wise to us then we will have to get the other two clamped in too. Though that is the beauty of the test tube.

We just have to find some GT takeoffs now

Sorry I couldnt give you more help on how much power it nets ya.
As for the smog laws, I would just try to keep is stock and build a special exhaust on the side for yourself, that way you can always go back to stock if cought

-Eric-

Quick Reply: 94-98 VS 99-04 Header guide!