V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Intake manifold spacer

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:34 AM
johnt2k7
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Intake manifold spacer

u can make tall spacer but do like some one was talking a few posts down that says random maybe dumb idea

he was talking of making a intake spacer with holes drilled and taped through it to run nitrous or ac or some coolant through to super cool the manifold while u are sitting idleing at the line then turn off the ac or coolant and make ur run with super cool air

this would be a alternative to putting ice on ur manifold and icing it down and having to worried about water melting down into the belts and ****

Old 05-09-2007, 12:34 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I think thats just the throttle body spacers. Besides putting a spacer can't hurt anything.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:37 AM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnt2k7

u can make tall spacer but do like some one was talking a few posts down that says random maybe dumb idea

he was talking of making a intake spacer with holes drilled and taped through it to run nitrous or ac or some coolant through to super cool the manifold while u are sitting idleing at the line then turn off the ac or coolant and make ur run with super cool air

this would be a alternative to putting ice on ur manifold and icing it down and having to worried about water melting down into the belts and ****

I read that fourm earlier and i think that it would cost you WAY more than what it's worth. And it would probabally get messed up anyways because it is past the MAF sensor.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:37 AM
johnt2k7
4th Gear Member

manifold spacer is good

throttle body spacer is trash just use it as a paper weight
Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Honestly you can actually start losing horsepower to gain the torque. Its called Runner tuning and each engine is different and only a specific RPM will yeild the best effects.

You see the air travling into the runner doesnt just dump non stop. Its like a wave pool. Everytime the valve closes the air slams against it and bounces back actually taking the air away from the port thus slowing velocity. The key is to tune this so that by the time the resonance bounces back it actually creates greater velocity and enters the valve at exactly the right time.

This technicque is used with cars that have a very specific powerband in racing and isnt practical for the street.

Adding a spacer will gain a little horsepower and some better torque but its not the end all to the power problems of these cars. Its expensive too. For what you pay for 3 spacers you can get a set of 1.81" roller rockers and long pushrods and gain 15-20rwhp (According to Morana.)

Also the longer the runner length the more RPM efficency you lose and the abuility for a higher revving car. The roller lifters in our sixers arent that strong either, brenspeed has some pictures of the lifter rollers actually breaking free from the lifter when 6300rpm's was reached in the engine by a missed shift.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:12 AM
raz54
4th Gear Member

Another thing to remember about plenum spacers is they do NOT increase over all tq or hp, they only give an increase in the low to mid range rpms. I did read though that the taller the spacer the higher the gains. That was from the place that did the dyno testing. I'm still thinking about getting one and if I do it will be the 9/16" spacer. Here's where you can get them.

http://www.vapauto.com/spacers1.htm
Old 05-09-2007, 03:29 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

i bought a used 3/8" g10 phenolic spacer. i won't install it for awhile but i'll let you guys know if i find a difference. oh and raz is right you only gain low end hp and tq, but that's not so bad in this car.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:37 AM
deezelnut
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: laserred02

i bought a used 3/8" g10 phenolic spacer. i won't install it for awhile but i'll let you guys know if i find a difference. oh and raz is right you only gain low end hp and tq, but that's not so bad in this car.
and to add to that. when are you going to driving at WOT at 5000+ RPMs? not that much. and besides, the stock valvetrain could not take those RPMs for that long.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:47 AM
raz54
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deezelnut

and to add to that. when are you going to driving at WOT at 5000+ RPMs? not that much. and besides, the stock valvetrain could not take those RPMs for that long.

That's my reason for wanting one, to give me an increase where I will actually use it.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:23 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raz54

ORIGINAL: deezelnut

That's my reason for wanting one, to give me an increase where I will actually use it.
exactly why i bought it too

Quick Reply: Intake manifold spacer