V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Transmission Fluid Pan + Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 04:14 AM
ProvingGrounds
2nd Gear Member

Default Transmission Fluid Pan + Filter

I am trying to clean my ATF a bit without having to go through a flush. My idea is to drop the pan, drain, change the filter, then refill. Problem is that I do not know where to find the ATF pan nor remove it on my 99 Mustang. Any ideas? Some pictures also would be really appreciated.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:28 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission Fluid Pan + Filter

pick up a haynes manual it will be very helpful for general maintenance and minor repairs, it will have all the pictures you need to walk through the drain and fill. make sure you drain the transmission cooling lines too, it will tell you how to do that as well.

good luck!
Old 06-01-2007, 11:37 AM
MantaDreams
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ProvingGrounds

I am trying to clean my ATF a bit without having to go through a flush. My idea is to drop the pan, drain, change the filter, then refill. Problem is that I do not know where to find the ATF pan nor remove it on my 99 Mustang. Any ideas? Some pictures also would be really appreciated.
All oil pans only hold a fraction of the total fluid in the system.
the trans pan (unlike the engine's oil pan) holds a much smaller fraction of the transmission fluid. That's because there's quite a bit in the torque converter and cooler lines/cooler reservoir. Still its better than nothing, and you might be surprised by the amount of iron/steel filings caught by the magnet (be sure to clean that).
Flushes get more. But I have seen a really dirty transmission (my Dodge truck) where the shift solenoids that had small filters of their own were clogged, also.
good luck
Old 06-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Jefferson

ORIGINAL: laserred02

pick up a haynes manual it will be very helpful for general maintenance and minor repairs, it will have all the pictures you need to walk through the drain and fill. make sure you drain the transmission cooling lines too, it will tell you how to do that as well.

good luck!
Seriously, this is the best peice of advice your gonna get...for the 15 bucks (or whatever it costs) the manual is going to save you headaches time and time again. If your not familiar with it, the book is a complete strip down and rebuild of the car, it shows you how to fix just about everything and has pictures. Go and buy one....
Old 06-01-2007, 12:03 PM
ProvingGrounds
2nd Gear Member

Alright guys, check this out!
I call a local dealer and asked him how much would it cost to drop the pan and change the filter, and they asked for $240.
I simply hung up the phone. I thought that was the polite thing to do.

I am going to pick up a haynes this week. Thank you for that advice.

Concerning change vs. flush: In my opinion, the car has too many miles to do a flush (and the tranny was not maintained properly since I found the ATF 2 quarts low when I bought the car!). I would rather do a change and see what kind of imporvement I get. If the results are good I can do a second change in a thousand miles or so.

One of my big concerns that the car currently has Dex III instead of V. The fluid doesnt look real bad (still pink, shiny, and smooth), but the vibrations I am getting at certain RPMs are good indicators of the wrong fluid type.

My main question is: what socket size is needed for the pan bolts and filter bolt(s)?
Old 06-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Jefferson

Should say in the manual.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:28 PM
ProvingGrounds
2nd Gear Member

LOL, the manual will take a week to get here, and I wanna do the change this weekend.
If you have the manual, can you tell me what it says about socket size? :-P
Old 06-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Jefferson

Could, but I'm at work. Maybe one of the fine gents here can help you out.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:57 PM
ProvingGrounds
2nd Gear Member

Thanx a bunch.

So what do you guys think about the $240 price tag from the dealer? Scary, eh?
Problem is that I am sure some people would go for it!
Old 06-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Jefferson

Yeah, but those people are the reason why they can charge so much. Some poeple go through life not asking questions....its scary.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Pan + Filter