V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

ASP Pulley Guys I Need Your Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:41 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Default ASP Pulley Guys I Need Your Help

I recently purchased a belt for my pulley and it says on it 960K6 which I believe is 96 inches?? Car is runing fine now when I changed the pulley tensioner because it was going bad and car is pulling fine until it wants to shift then it feels like its sort of toping out at the gear very very hard then it shifts. Would this be because the belt is short and the tension is just too great on the belt?? U guys think this is a prblem,some input from ppl who know what they're talking about plz and u guys think the 966K6 would fix this problem puting less stress on the motor so it can shift faster and not having to feel like the motor wants to blow?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:14 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: ASP Pulley Guys I Need Your Help Pros Plz

R u kiddin me noone knows
Old 06-02-2007, 03:19 AM
Autobadges.com
Banned

94-98 Mustangs use 96 inch 6 rib belt (2445mm)
99-04 Mustangs use 96.6 inch 6 rib belt (2460mm)
05-07 Mustangs use a 86 inch 6 rib belt
Old 06-02-2007, 03:53 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Your pulleys and belt have ZERO effect on when/how your auto tranny shifts. Start looking at other things you've changed.

Ryan
Old 06-02-2007, 04:14 AM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Its not that tranny shifts bad bro its just that when car pulls up to that shift point it sorta struggles ,I was thinking its the belt??
Old 06-02-2007, 04:31 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

It may be that what you are feeling is the decrease of drag on the engine makes it feel slightly different, which even then, I wouldn't worry about it.

I thought you were more worried about the belt, but it doesn't seem like a belt issue.

Ryan
Old 06-02-2007, 12:31 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I agree, it doesn't seem like a belt thing. I don't have much experience with autos, but I'd think if something was wrong, it would be with the tranny, not your new pulley/belt set up.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:15 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I'm thinking the same. I'm not 100% sure on the problem, but I don't think it's the belt. The belt only controles the external acessories (A/C, alternator, ect). If it was the belt, and the engine was straining (somehow as I don't see how an engine making 190 bhp is gonna struggle considering a 6.5 hp lawnmower can rape 6" tall grass) the external accessories would struggle to work as well. In other words, the A/C wouldn't work as well, the engine would suffer charging problems as a result of the alternator, and other things would happen. The belt would have little affect on the tranny as probably 90%+ of your power is sent from the engine to the drivetrain, only about 10% and less is used to power the external acessories, and even under the worse circumstances I don't see the engine having to use enough power to drastically affect the tranny.

In short, there may be nothing wrong at all, or there is something wrong with the tranny itself, and or one of the 10 thousand sensors that work in conjunction with the tranny and the ecu.

I'd take it to a local shop and have them run a diagnostic on the ecu and see what comes up. If nothing pops up (make sure they look over everything, including the fuel system) then it may be the tranny, but I'd have them check out the belt as well just to make sure something isn't wrong up front. But as Erick said, if you have the right size belt, then it's not that.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:04 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

The belt has ZERO effect on what you are discribing. The belt ONLY drives the engine accessories.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:09 PM
flash20
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

The belt has ZERO effect on what you are discribing. The belt ONLY drives the engine accessories.
wtf harvey welcome back!!!!

how have u been?

Quick Reply: ASP Pulley Guys I Need Your Help