V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

How to lower your Stang!

Old 09-09-2008, 12:11 PM
sransari
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00mustanggt6
i must have gotten lucky with my struts, cause i am yet to change them at 136,000 miles and I cut and installed GT springs at 69,000miles. It obviously stiffened the ride but other than that there hasnt been any change in ride quality. the car is just as firm as it was the day i dropped it.
I seriously doubt that. You may think that because shox/struts wear out so gradually it's hard to tell that there's a difference, but I bet if you changed them out now, you will feel a huge difference.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:56 PM
3.8_Special
2nd Gear Member

Im told that 1996 Lincoln spindles will drop your car 1" -1.5". Which model I did not get, however this was on a SC T bird.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:00 AM
eaglecatcher
3rd Gear Member

I would like to add that if you have an SN95, you'll need a 24mm deep socket to remove the spindle bolts, and a propane torch might be necessary if the bolts have never been broken loose before. And a 3 ft cheater pipe might also come in handy. I would also suggest you find something to use for the notch in the upper strut mount BEFORE beginning the project... a screwdriver will work, but once the bolt gets even with the top it's pretty useless. I ended up using a pair of broadhead wire strippers, which subsequently got bent after it was all said and done.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Rubidon

Default Lowering your stang

I did it!! I replaced the front springs with brand new-cut myself ones.Pretty easy to do.I replaced the balljoints while i was at it.I cut a full coil and about an inch and it dropped it about an 1 1/4". Looks great!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 01:34 PM
MustangMike2001
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubidon
I did it!! I replaced the front springs with brand new-cut myself ones.Pretty easy to do.I replaced the balljoints while i was at it.I cut a full coil and about an inch and it dropped it about an 1 1/4". Looks great!!!
Awesome man, let's see some pics.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:17 PM
sransari
2nd Gear Member

I don't think you HAVE to remove the strut at the top, which is what you need an impact gun for. I just took my front springs out last night to install some spacers to raise the car up 1/2" that came with my steeda X2 ball joints. I didn't remove the struts, and it worked out just fine.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:39 PM
haystackstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RyansQuick6
It's a road warrior, not a trailer queen lol. This was literally te first time I was able to even touch my car for something other than puting in gas in a months. It was killing me. It took forever to redo the springs because I had to stop every 5 seconds to wash my hands and take a picture. lol

I'm going to be doing a coilover install and 4bolt cc plate install soon as well. Maybe one day a nitrous how-to as well.

I need a shop assistant!

Ryan
damn i wish you lived closer lol i could have someone else to help me work on my car and vise versa cause everyone that know stuff about car around hear drive old school mopars and chevys
Old 10-02-2008, 01:39 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Well here lately on Mod days at my house, there's a pretty good selection of stangs. Generally end up with about 6 or 7 parked at the house not including my 2, and I'm pretty much the only one that knows what i'm doing, but I let other people do the work, I just tell them how and what to do. lol
Old 10-02-2008, 02:06 PM
cuban tech
1st Gear Member

Yea i hear you RyansQuick6 same here at house. every week there are a lot of stangs here working on there car since i have my tools here and the jacks and stands. But it does get hard.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:33 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

The worst is when you have to send someone out to get a part or a tool, it seems to take forever, and usually it's wrong part or wrong tool lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to lower your Stang!