V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

dpfe pipe manifold to exhaust broken

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:23 PM
eagle94

Default dpfe pipe manifold to exhaust broken

this pipe has two spuds for hoses to connect one has broken off think previous owner tried to change dpfe and pulled on hose. engine light on when i bought it. 94 convertible 3.8 auto. anybody know how to replace pipe I can't get wrench on bottom nut to remove looks like remove exhaust or remove a/c parts to get to.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:25 PM
eagle94

Default RE: dpfe pipe manifold to exhaust broken

has nobody ever tried to take this tube out. i cant be the only one this has happened too. going to try and find a pipe plug to fit in hole left by broken nipple.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:28 PM
eagle94

anybody know what size lower nut is on this tube. salvage has used pipe i didn't get to measure it. going too try and make a wrench to reach this. lower nut is on exhaust manifold.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:59 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

the bottom nut is a pain in the a$$ to get off. since your replacing it anyway though you can cut the pipe off right above the nut then put a socket over it. it would make it a ton easier
Old 06-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: amrcnidyot

the bottom nut is a pain in the a$$ to get off. since your replacing it anyway though you can cut the pipe off right above the nut then put a socket over it. it would make it a ton easier
it's not that hard Just get an adjustable wrench or channel lock wrench and a small 3 lb sledge. THe sledge method works best with the adjustable as it doesn't require you to keep the pressure on the handle to keep it from slipping. Get the wrench on there nice and snug and give it a few taps with the sledge to break it loose.

You could also do the cut and socket method too though since you're going to replace the pipe anyway though.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:44 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

it's not that hard Just get an adjustable wrench or channel lock wrench and a small 3 lb sledge. THe sledge method works best with the adjustable as it doesn't require you to keep the pressure on the handle to keep it from slipping. Get the wrench on there nice and snug and give it a few taps with the sledge to break it loose.

You could also do the cut and socket method too though since you're going to replace the pipe anyway though.
depends, the first time i took mine off it wasnt too bad, the 2nd time i did hit the damn thing w/ a hammer and it wouldlnt budge....damn thing is on there really good.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Derf00

depends, the first time i took mine off it wasnt too bad, the 2nd time i did hit the damn thing w/ a hammer and it wouldlnt budge....damn thing is on there really good.
Anti-seize is your friend I use it any time i'm putting metal to metal together and high temps. O2 sensors, exhaust bungs, spark plugs, etc.Just enough to coat the threads very lightly.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:19 PM
MantaDreams
3rd Gear Member

got mine off with crescent wrench and hammer technique. That's a Craftsman crescent wrench, no cheapy wrench. I got to it because I had to change head gasket. I removed all theintake stuff, and O yes, I removed the hood. But I didn't need to removed any A/C stuff. worked from top down
Old 06-21-2007, 08:42 PM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

easy fix. go to a junk yard and cut the section of the EGR pipe out that has the 2 lines coming off to the purgevalve. next cut your settl EGR tube with the broken section off and put the other in it's place and connect everything with the correct sized Emissions hose and 4 hose clamps