V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Phenolic intake spacer

Old 07-19-2007, 10:28 AM
l_shizzle_l
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Phenolic intake spacer

You'll also need anti-sieze on the threads, longer allingment pins so it dosn't shift once you start driving, and 2 oem ford intake gaskets.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:38 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhitePony02

I'll ask my teacher, but using G10 seems pointless because 1. its expensive and 2. they don't make any of the intake out of G10 so regular metal should be fine.

And if its necessary to use G10, he can purchase it and it might even just charge the school. Last year in shop he didn't even charge anyone for their materials. I'll see, but since the CNC machines are free for me to use (there's two of them) and nobody ever uses them, I won't have to charge extra to get my money back for the CNC machine.
the point of using G10 is for its heat transfer properties. Metal will still allow the uppper intake manifold to heat up at the same rate, the phenolic keeps the upper intake cooler for a longer period of time. This is why if you have been driving for a long time some of the gains with the spacer are diminished because the upper intake is now hot, and there is no longer cooler air flowing into your motor. Metal intake manifold spacers are a waste of money.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:48 AM
WhitePony02
3rd Gear Member

I see. I'm sure there's another alloy that I can make it out of that has good heat transfer properties and is cheap. Any suggestions?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:14 AM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

No, but I also wanted to point out that the OP didn't beat an 04 Accord unless it was a 4-cylinder model. The V6's put out 240hp and were just shy of running with stock GTs.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WhitePony02

I see. I'm sure there's another alloy that I can make it out of that has good heat transfer properties and is cheap. Any suggestions?
no there isn't, this topic has been beat to death over at 3.8mustang.com. this is why people use phenolic. Metal alloys with exceptional heat tranfer properties are going to be very expensive.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Deepenough
2nd Gear Member

The coupe auto V6 accord from 04 ran 15.3 in the 1/4 mile... The 330ci is heavier being a convertable with 225hp and 214lbs of torque.. the 330ci beat the accord when they finally clicked into fourth gear up till then it was a neck and neck race... They are both automatics. I have no interest in making up lies about who i beat aha. I actually beat the 330ci Automatic vert... i didnt get a chance to race the accord but it lost to the beemer anyways. I have no rear seats, no spare tire and i only weigh 160lbs, my gas tank was completely empty...i have the mods i listed in the other post and i consider my self i reasonably good driver. I dont even know how i made it home with my gas tank on empty tho [&:]... Yes i was surprized that i won... and as for the BMW being a bad driver, hes not and its an auto anyways, not THAT much too it. If it was a 6 speed 330ci NON VERT im sure i would have gotten pwned, but it wasnt. The automatic vert and auto versions of these cars are alot slower than their manual and hardtop counterparts... i have raced GT mustangs in these cars when my friends were driving and NO, they dont keep up with the GT's especially not from a dig. SO again i have no reason to be making this up, i dont know any of you...i just thought itd be nice to give some inspiration to V6 owners because it seems like many are beating themselves up about having the 3.8 and not the 4.6. What happened last night was an inspriration to me... because i had raced those cars before and LOST... when i had no mods and no weight reduction and i cudnt drive as well. I came home so happy i quickly sat down on the internet and started looking for more mods... because i want to be FASTA!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:51 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hpwrestler220

some people sware by them..it gives u a noticeable low end gain some say..im getting one soon..get it!!!

and can u post the site up??

get the 3/8 spacer...not the 9/16..there is no diffference i dont think. or maybe they do the exact same? idk. most people have 3/8
I run a 1" spacer on my car and I'm one of the ones that swear by it. There's a BIG noticable difference in the temp of the upper intake manifold. It also makes the runners longer, which equals more low end torque.

It may be more extreme for me because It's a 5.0L engine plus it's supercharged and on the bottle. So temp changes and longer runners make even more of a difference. But either way, I think they;'re great. And it cost me less than $70 brand new from summit.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Deepenough
2nd Gear Member

Oh and lasserred38, your right about the hp it did have alot but
while the accord coupe auto did put out 240hp, it also only had 212lbs tq
and the beemer was heavier and vert and automatic- 225hps and 217lbs tq
read my whole post above and i think thigns well become a little more clear

And as for the phenolic spacers they do sound pretty, good but it says split ports can loose 1hp top end! AHHH. aha just kidding, if we get more torque and a little more hp for such a big part of the rpm band then i say its good. Im definately getting one. While im at it im gonna pulish my upper intake as well, maybe port if i have the right tools. I need to get new gaskets when i do this right??
Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
amrcnidyot
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Deepenough

Oh and lasserred38, your right about the hp it did have alot but
while the accord coupe auto did put out 240hp, it also only had 212lbs tq
and the beemer was heavier and vert and automatic- 225hps and 217lbs tq
read my whole post above and i think thigns well become a little more clear

And as for the phenolic spacers they do sound pretty, good but it says split ports can loose 1hp top end! AHHH. aha just kidding, if we get more torque and a little more hp for such a big part of the rpm band then i say its good. Im definately getting one. While im at it im gonna pulish my upper intake as well, maybe port if i have the right tools. I need to get new gaskets when i do this right??
yea youll need new gaskets. and as for making your own. you have to make sure you use a metal that will work well w/ the stock upper nad lower intakes.different metals have different properties.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:02 PM
mooses
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: laserred02

the point of using G10 is for its heat transfer properties. Metal will still allow the uppper intake manifold to heat up at the same rate, the phenolic keeps the upper intake cooler for a longer period of time. This is why if you have been driving for a long time some of the gains with the spacer are diminished because the upper intake is now hot, and there is no longer cooler air flowing into your motor. Metal intake manifold spacers are a waste of money.
The gains from the spacer come from the increased runner length, not its heat transfer properties. Air is not in the upper intake long enough to even be affected by the upper intake's temperature.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Phenolic intake spacer