V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Newbie wants to take it to the next level

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:56 PM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

Default Newbie wants to take it to the next level

okay, so i am about to inherit my brother's car. it is a stock'06 V6 mustang. Like I said, its a stock autov6. *****, very ***** indeed. I want it to be faster, and a little bit louder (like a GT or a little more). I was thinking about installing a supercharger, but i've been told its not that easy, and yahtee yahtee yah. so i was hoping if someone on this forum will help get that jump start i need. i am a complete newb, but i am willing to learn. i am only looking for around 100-175 hp gain but not more

please help, all advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Willem_Black
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie wants to take it to the next level

The best thing to do would be to read all the posts you can. You will tell pretty quickly who knows their stuff around here and be able to sort through the b.s. But there is a ton of usefull knowledge on these forums, and some really smart people. And you're right, the only way you're gonna see gains like that are through forced induction. You might wanna live on the Pipes, boost, juice forums for a while, gathering all the knowledge you can. And when you are unclear about something then ask a question.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:54 AM
xX98StallionXx
5th Gear Member

first your gonna need money, none of that stuff is cheap, and unless you know what your doing an S/C install can get messy... in a way forcing you to bring it to a shop which will make you pay a huge amount for "labor"

If your gonna go S/C then if it were me id work on my bottom end, if you just work the top end then youll eventually wear out the bottom and bad things will happen... Basically get the mods that will strengthen your engine enough for more compression.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:49 AM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

thank you two so much
Old 07-27-2007, 10:58 AM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

How much would labor for a full sc install be? I havnt even thought about how much im gunna pay yet, and dont really care lol, but would rather know. Im talking about injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, tuner... the works!
Old 07-27-2007, 02:59 PM
xX98StallionXx
5th Gear Member

Well, find the base rate and then put in like an hour per little part... i mean honestly some places will be that bad...
Old 07-27-2007, 03:33 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Buy a used 6-8 psi supercharger, you'll save some cash, and unless the engine has been trashed, a 6-8 psi S/C will not put enough strain on the internals to blow them. Install difficulty all depends on your level of knowledge and willingness to learn about your car. It could be very easy for a pro, moderiately difficult for a person that learns quick with a manual and a little mechanical know how, and insanly hard for a blond that doesn't even know what a screwdriver does. That level S/C will get you fairly close to what you want power wise, then you'll need to do full exhaust to free up the engines abilty to "pass gas"when romping on the S/C, and a nice eaton, detroit, or auburn limited slip differential with 3.73 gears isn't a bad idea either.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:18 PM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

what is "a nice eaton, detroit, or auburn limited slip differential with 3.73 gears "?

thanks for the advice btw
Old 07-27-2007, 07:22 PM
MantaDreams
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrhykushi

okay, so i am about to inherit my brother's car. it is a stock'06 V6 mustang. Like I said, its a stock autov6. *****, very ***** indeed. I want it to be faster, and a little bit louder (like a GT or a little more). I was thinking about installing a supercharger, but i've been told its not that easy, and yahtee yahtee yah. so i was hoping if someone on this forum will help get that jump start i need. i am a complete newb, but i am willing to learn. i am only looking for around 100-175 hp gain but not more

please help, all advice is greatly appreciated.
these forums are a little confusing for the beginner (forum reader). This forum is mainly for V6s before 2005. The "2005, 2006, and 2007" forums and a subforum there for V-6s of your year model is likely where you wanna be for your question.

This can be especially helpful to know because not all the performance advice here applies to 05+ and vice versa....

(although a s/c helps in all years)

lurk in the 05+ forums. we're all trying to be helpful

-Joe
Old 07-28-2007, 12:36 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

Good luck trying to find a used SC for an S197 V6. Explorer Express just released an M90 kit for the 4.0 V6. And trust me, you're starting off with a better platform than most of the SN-95 guys here...

Quick Reply: Newbie wants to take it to the next level