Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Sponsored by Optima Batteries

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Steering Wheel Vibration

Old 10-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
Ares
1st Gear Member

Default Steering Wheel Vibration

Alright so im getting a prettysevere vibration in my steering wheel. Its the worst between 40 and 55 mph but i can feel it anytime. I know its not my alignment, i just had that done, but i dont know what else it could be.If you guys have any idea what could be wrong id really appreciate the help.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
johnt2k7
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Steering Wheel Vibration

need your tires balanced

i just did mine because i had a wheel weight falloff and i had a vibration

johnt2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
actionstang

that could tire balanced, but i also had a buddy with two bent rims and that gave him a horrible vibration at about 55-60 mph.. i was drivin behind him one day and his car just started cutting back and forth and it looked like he was about to loose control. hopefully its just tire balance cuz thats alot cheeper to fix
Old 10-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
Ares
1st Gear Member

My rims are fairly new so that shouldnt be the problem. But ive already had my tires balanced andIve had the damn thing at Ford for a week and they told me they couldnt find anything wrong with it.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
actionstang

time to find a new place to get ur **** checked out...
Old 10-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
Ares
1st Gear Member

Yeah im a little skeptical about how hard they really tried to say the least.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
MantaDreams
3rd Gear Member

internal tire failure and bent rims have been my experience with the problem u describe
MantaDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #8
raz54
4th Gear Member

It could be like MantaDreams said and be a tire coming apart inside but still look good. If all your tires are the same size try putting one of the rear tires on the front. If the vibrations stops you know which one is doing it. I bought a new set for my Ranger and it did that. They tried 6 times to balance it and never was fixed so they finally replaced it.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
XxXRacingUnleashed
5th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to XxXRacingUnleashed

wheel bearings, or tie rod ends could be a factor, get it up on a jack and wiggle the tire up and down and side to side at all angles if there is play then it is either one of those. is this happening on acceleration or decell? and is it auto or standard?

*NEW*
-1985 Mazda RX7
-Header
-Custom Exhaust
-Apex tip
-More to come!
XxXRacingUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #10
98Ga
3rd Gear Member

yeah it sounds like your wheel bearings if its only doing it when your on the brakes then its your rotors
Old 10-07-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
XxXRacingUnleashed
5th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to XxXRacingUnleashed

yea thats why i asked if it is braking or accel

*NEW*
-1985 Mazda RX7
-Header
-Custom Exhaust
-Apex tip
-More to come!
XxXRacingUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 AM   #12
UberNoobIshNess

when i had a simmular vibration in my 04 stang the drivers side hubassembly was going bad
Reverse glow gauges
UberNoobIshNess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
Ares
1st Gear Member

Its an Auto, and it does it during accel and deccel. Its a constant vibration. and its not real bad but im getting a slight pull to the left.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #14
MustangMisha

Send a message via AIM to MustangMisha

I have a the same exact problem with my car also (also a 2004 V6 stang). I do have one bent rim tho. but besides for that there is one other thing...There is a TSB ford put out for 2000-2003 mustangs that have that same shakeing problem. I dont know if they got around to updating the TSB to include 2004 models. I also had the pull to the left. Thats a wheel alinement issue that only gets worse and makes the shaking more intence. check to see if your front right tire has wear on the outside first few inches and then check if you have some wear on your left front tire inside first few inches. I hate the shake and Ford also said i needed balencing...well they did that and refused to give me my money back when that didnt solve the problem. You can google Ford mustang TSB and one of the first few links have all the mustang(and other ford manufactured, and other company of ford like lincon) TSB records in adobe format. then just scroll down and look for it. ist is not that long. you can filter it out easy because a lot of the choices say cobra only or 4.6 and 5.0 only. but there are a few that say shaking @ or around 52mph. then just tell ford u think the problem coresponds to that TSB and they will look into it. hope all that helps.
MustangMisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #15
MustangMisha

Send a message via AIM to MustangMisha

Maybe someone can help me now... I just installed factory fog lights in my 2004 3.8 v6 stang. Did them myself and followed directions to a T....A few days after(about 3) as i was a block from my house listening to Bloomberg Radio ( i say this so you know i was not blasting my subs and interior speekers) my aftermarket face plate turned off and i couldent get it back on. I had this system for a few years not with zero problems. When i got home one min later i turned my car off and back on. When i turned it on it sounded like it was struggling to turn on and almost stalled. Tried that one more time and it did stall. Besides for that my guages bugged out and when i turned the key to the on position with out going all the way, the guages shot to the furthest positions that each one could go then back again to flat then adjusted to the appropriate levels. I trouble shot and found that a loose conection from the fog light hook up onto the fuse box where the battery and alternator hook up. the nut that was supposed to be pressing the wires together was not all the way compressed and that nut and bult was extreamely hot and melted part of the fog lights little wire. My free tow to the dealership ended up in a dead battery because the guy didnt take my key off the on position. So today i got a new battery optima yellow top (thought it was a good time for a $200 upgrade) and made sure the all my fog light and other connections were tight. The nut and bult connection was no longer getting hot so i started the car back up. The problem now is the guages still bugg out and do the same thing and the car still sputters at first for a second or two when that happens. When the car gets warmes up i turned it off and tried it again and the guages and start up was ideal. Waited a little while and tried it again and the same thing happened. please help me avoid the dealerships 98 buck diagnostic test. what do you think is wrong?
MustangMisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 PM   #16
Ares
1st Gear Member

Thinks for the advice on the TSB. Im gonna look into that. Did you ever get that problem solved on yours though?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #17
l_shizzle_l
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2000 v6
Send a message via AIM to l_shizzle_l

Sounds like you have a bubble onyour tread(that is if your balance is good). Run your hands arround the tire on the tread and feel for a bubble, be sure to check the engine side of the tire as well.
2002 block, 4.2L crank, bored 30 over. Forged Wiseco pistions and Scat rods. 224/230 comp cam, ported heads, lsx valve springs, ported intake. BHJ crank balancer with ASP underdrive pulley. Spec stage 2+ clutch, alum flywheel, steeda short throw shifter. Ford 8.8 rear end, Eaton Tru Trac limited slip, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP 3.73's, FRPP diff cover/girdle. Longtube headders, O/R X pipe, flowmasters with 3" magnaflow tips. GT sway bar and Roush LCA's.

Crashed...

98 3.8 mustang - stock
l_shizzle_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 AM   #18
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

I think its the new wheels, when I got my new wheels I had alot of vibration and sometimes my steering wheel would pull hard to the right or left depending on the road. I think it was just that I had wider wheels/tires so they handled more of the road, I got my wheels rotated and balanced a few months later and it went away, its slowly coming back again so I think Ill have to make another trip to americas tire...

2003 Mustang (YN Silver) Too many mods to list latest and greatest mod: Just picked up a 03' Cobra motor!!
Wanted: Tranny and Wiring from 03/04 Cobra..
Jimmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #19
blknismo180
2nd Gear Member

maybe u have a flatspot...???
blknismo180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #20
Ares
1st Gear Member

I doubt its the wheels. I had them on for a while before I started to get any vibrations.. I didnt mention it but i got rearended right before the the problem started. It wasnt a hard hit by any means and left very little damage. Everywhere ive taken it says it couldnt have affected it but everything started less than a week after.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2003, body, engine, feel, fox, mach, mustang, problems, stearing, steering, svo, v6, vibration, vibrations, wheel