V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2003 mustang Turbo or Supercharger????

Old 10-07-2007, 08:21 PM
mustang25

Default 2003 mustang Turbo or Supercharger????

I have a 2003 3.8 mustang, and am looking for some kind of forced induction. (maybe around 300-350hp, not over 400) I cant find anything for my year. Vortech makes a supercharger but its only for cars up to 2000. Anyone know a site that sells reasonably priced turbos or superchargers for my car? Also what do you think is better overall turbo or supercharger?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:27 PM
mustangred
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2003 mustang Turbo or Supercharger????

Not being mean but I think doing anything like that to a v6 is probably i waste of time and money i mean yea you might have 300 maybe more hp but u could just go buy a 99-04 gt do a little exhaust and you would have the same plus you would have more potential
Old 10-07-2007, 08:32 PM
mustang25

Well im 17 and have what i have, so im just gonna make do....plus insurance and gas would be cheaper with a v6....but i want a little more power soooo
Old 10-07-2007, 08:35 PM
mustangred
2nd Gear Member

lol man I know what you mean im 18 and doin the same but where im gettin at is any good turbo you supercharger is going to be around 5k if u want it bad enough keep you 5k sell your car and get a gt you could even get the 90s model and do a pi swap and that would put u up to around 300 right there
Old 10-07-2007, 08:39 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Build what you have. I've proven it time and time again that from scratch, a V6 is CHEAPER to make equal or more power than the big bad V8.

As for the turbo vs supercharger question, it really comes down to one thing..... your driving style and what you want. Is it going to be a street car? Drag car? Road course car?A little of all of them? Pick the power adder based on what you want the car to do...not b/c of a magazine add or something some liked for their car. 80% of the guys who tell you right off the bat one is better aren't paying attention to what you need. What works for one won't always work well for another.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:44 PM
mustangred
2nd Gear Member

sorry for makein anybody mad im just trying to stat the facts if you want more power a v8 mustang is going to beat a v6 think about it if your going to put a supercharger on a v6 ok great but what if you put one on a gt..you have a bad *** car i know your young and want power and im the same way but man hold off for a little while then you can really get something good thats what my older brother did and he loves it
Old 10-07-2007, 08:52 PM
HARFORD
2nd Gear Member

well if you put the money that you save on upfront costs of the v6 versus the gt then you are a few grand closer to the supercharger or turbo. the 3.8 blocks are stronger than the 4.6's. gt's arent that great .... get a cobra. no wait they arent that great either, get a roush or a mach 1. the v6 isnt in the same catagory as a gt. why do honda ppl put turbo's on their car? to race a type R or a mustang cobra? NO its to build what they have at that time.... just like a v6 mustanger. oh and let me add this, an srt - 4 4 cylinder with a turbo rapes mustanags with n/a motors all the time so dont EVER underestimate the smaller motor. lilroush's car would ( probally does ) rape gt's all day.

to answer the thread..... honeslty i dont know but solmetime down the line when i want a new motor i am thinking about a supercharged thunderbird 3.8. i hear its almost directly a drop in for my car and has some serious power.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:28 PM
mustang25

LilRoush prob answered my question the best....i want it to be a street car but with enough hp to get me down the track quick. I heard turbos have more maintnence issues over superchargers...is that true?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 PM
XxXRacingUnleashed
5th Gear Member

i would turbo it over supercharger, sure it has to spool up and have the risk of turbo lag but i like it alot more than super charging
Old 10-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Willem_Black
2nd Gear Member

If you're only looking for 300/350hp then I'd just go supercharged. You can piece together a vortech kit for under 3k including tuning if you're frugal. If you were going for more power, then yeah turbos would be better, but there's no point in spending 6 or 7k just to get another 150hp. And ignore the people who say "get a v8, it's cheaper" because it's not. Think about it, the avg new edge GT in good condition is at least 12k, the avg v6 in the same condition......5k. For only 100 more horses.....I wouldn't bother.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 mustang Turbo or Supercharger????