V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

My sons Mustang wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Not-a-Ford=Guy

Default My sons Mustang wont start

To start off with, I have never worked on a Mustang. My son has a 1999 3.8 Mustang that wont start.

Two weeks ago, he drove it to his grandmothers house, and it died as he was stopping out front. We trailered it home, and there it's sat since. I tried working on it today, and this is what it does....

Upon turning the key to the RUN position (either factory original key), the ABS and BRAKE lights come on. Nothing else, and it will crank but not start. If you wait exactly one minute (I timed it), the rest of the lights will come on, the gauges do their sweep, and the THEFT light blinks rapidly. I tried this at least ten times, and it does the exact same thing every time. And it will still crank but not start. I have also noticed that you never hear the fuel pump pressurize. My son said he checked for spark, and there isn't any (Have not verified myself).

I had the battery checked (good)
I cleaned the battery terminals (they were extremely corroded)
I have checked all the fuses inside and under the hood (all good)

From what I have read, the Theft system goes screwy on some Mustangs, and it's a dealer only (expensive) fix. And I believe it might be part of the problem. But what would cause the instrument cluster behavior? I really have no idea where to look next. Thanks for reading!
Old 05-02-2014, 08:05 PM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

did any lights come on when the car died? have you checked the belt? tension?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Not-a-Ford=Guy

After a few hours of Google searches, I have finally found a couple other threads that are close to the same problem. I have tested fuses 2,8, and 34 under the dash. No 12v with the switch on. Which (as I understand) means either the ignition switch or key cylinder is faulty, causing no power to the PCM. That would explain why my OBDII reader cannot establish a link. In turn, causing the PATS system to activate? Does this sound like a probable cause to the symptoms I am having?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:52 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Not-a-Ford=Guy
After a few hours of Google searches, I have finally found a couple other threads that are close to the same problem. I have tested fuses 2,8, and 34 under the dash. No 12v with the switch on. Which (as I understand) means either the ignition switch or key cylinder is faulty, causing no power to the PCM. That would explain why my OBDII reader cannot establish a link. In turn, causing the PATS system to activate? Does this sound like a probable cause to the symptoms I am having?
That sounds plausible. Does wiggling the key/ignition switch make the dash lights come on?
Old 05-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Not-a-Ford=Guy

Originally Posted by edwin108
That sounds plausible. Does wiggling the key/ignition switch make the dash lights come on?
I tried wiggling the key switch, and the wires coming from the ignition switch. Nothing helped. When the key is turned, the ABS and BRAKE lights come on. 1 minute later, the needles sweep, and the rest of the warning lights come on. Including the rapidly flashing THEFT light. Cranks, but won't start.

No 12v to those fuses at any time. The only thing that confuses me, is if the PCM isn't getting any power, how does the dash come to life a minute after the key switch is turned?