V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

need new tires if lowered??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 02:25 PM
z3uper90

Default need new tires if lowered??

i have a 2003 mustang v6. i know this is probably a very stupid question but first off, what is the size of the rims and tires for a stock v6 mustang. and i am thinking about lowering my car with either the eibach pro-kit or sportline kit. if you lower a car, do you have to get new tires and rims or can you use the stock one's. if you have to buy new tires/rims to lower so they will fit and not rub against the car, then i probably will not lower my car considering that i have about $300 to work with... another question: what would YOU do if you had $300 to spend on something for a v6 mustang; exhaust, power chip thing, intake, tires, or whatever else... im jsut trying to figure out what i should/want to do to my car for about that price range. someday i will upload a pic. of my car on here, but btw it is a 2003 v6 mustang and the only thing that is not stock on it is a Mach MP3 sound system, and a upgraded intake, a GT hood with a bump type thing in the middle( not a cowl hood) and pony stripes on the bottom of car. i think this is called the "Pony Package" or something like that. i got my car used so i didnt add the intake or anything mentioned above. plz help. any advice hopefully would be usefull. and yes, i do know im a newb at this so plz dont post things about how dumb i am about cars and **** please. links would be appreciated as well.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Ontherocks98
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: need new tires if lowered??

Hey there, welcome to the forum, ill give it my best shot answering your questions. First off, if you get your car lowered, you dont have to get new tires or new rims, its just that usually people lower their cars when they have upgraded wheels, such as 17 or 18 inch. I own a 2002 v6, and my stock wheels were 16inch wheels. I upgraded to 18 inch chrome mach ones last summer and they look great, even though the car is not lowered. The only reason people lower their cars really are to make the gap where the tire and car meet. With bigger wheels, the gap becomes larger, and to some people it might look a bit odd, but i like it just fine. Its all opinion. Some people also lower their cars for better handling and suspension etc, but that requires usually new shocks and struts for best results. Lowering springs such as Eibach or steeda or Ford Racing lower the car anywhere from 1-2inches depending on model of springs. www.v6mustangstuff.com
www.mustangsuspension.com
www.mustangtuning.com

those sites should help with some suspension purchases or use the manufacturers websites.

Next question about what to do with your 300 dollars....2 chicks at the same time man.
If i had just $300 to throw around, i might put it into gears at this point, but i already have dual exhaust, wheels, intake and some other little things.

Once again its all opinion. It comes down to look or performance. If you want your car to have more power, id go for the dual exhaust first off...one of the best mods for v6s besides gears. Chips are nice to have, they can add some power to your car, but dual exhaust imo is the 1st mod a v6er should do. Now this means you can either get the rear exhaust..or be more unique and perhaps get a rear exhaust which costs more money though.

I purchased my dual exhaust from www.rpmoutlet.com for 500$ shipping free. It cost me 120$ for installation at a local shop. For side exhaust, you can check out www.stage3performance.com
which has the roush side exhaust which looks awesome, but you might need the side skirts or perhaps they could somehow cut your existing side skirts to fit the exhaust.

300 bucks tho wont really go to far for perf. or looks besides little things. underdrive pullies are a great buy for about 160$, intakes go for as little as 40 bucks on ebay, chips usually run 400 bucks depending on what kind. I would go for the dual exhaust, you can probably get one for around 300 if you looked.......good luck man

hope that helped!
Old 03-24-2005, 08:59 PM
97Stallion
2nd Gear Member

Well if you do decide to lower you car you need to do a few other things also. You need new endlinks. Not many people do this and the result is poor handling. If you look at your front sway bar, it should be paralell to the ground. after you lower your car it's not anymore, so with the shorter endlinks you'll make the front sway bar level again and have a better handling car. Also you're gonna want some shocks and struts that match the spring rate. Almost any aftermarket manufacture like Tokico, koni, or Bilstein will work just fine. But beware that if you lower your car, the ride won't be as cushiony anymore because you're stiffening up the suspension.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:52 AM
MACHJUAN
5th Gear Member

no new tires are required because i seen friends drop theirs and nothing is needed to be changed
Old 03-25-2005, 05:16 PM
z3uper90

ok thanks alot guys. i know $300 isn't a lot of money and maybe i should just save some more and get some nice dual exhaust or somthing. im just not a very good saver lol. a while ago i was seriously considering saving up for dual side exhaust, here is the link for them. tell me what you think about em and with side exhuast or dual would i have to get a new header and/or hangers? it seems to me that side exit dual exhaust costs a little more than rear exit but in my opinon the side exit looks soo cool and they are just so unique becuase not to many people have side exit exhaust . is there much if any a sound quality difference between getting rear dual exhaust and side exits? anyway here is what i would like to get....this is link for standard rear dual's http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/magnafl...8a86f32698404e and here is side exits that i want http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/magnafl...8a86f32698404e
so tell me what you think i should get it seems to be hard to find dual side exit exhaust for v6 mustangs so if you know of any places that have cheap prices plz post it. i would get borla... but those are so freakin expensive lol. sorry about my long posts/responses... i tend to just start rambling on and on so im going to stop now.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:29 PM
z3uper90

oh and one other thing, i want some new back tires. i have no idea how much they are and what size my stock tires/rims are either lol. the kind of tires i would like would be the wider tires, they look alot more sportier and raceier kind of. if i was to get new tires that were wider does that meen i need to get new rims as well? well i was going to put a pic of my car up on here today but the digital camera just broke lol. sorry.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:35 PM
z3uper90

97stallion, how is your car a v6 but a 4.2L and mine is a v6 but 3.8L
Old 03-25-2005, 05:53 PM
z3uper90

i found some other side exhaust from borla, a bit pricy but it would be awesome to have these... i cant tell if these are dual or quad exhaust since in the pic. it has 2 tips that would stick out on the left side of your car and on the other side of the pic. it looks like there might even be 2 more exhaust pipes! i cant tell though. what do you think/know? http://www.lmperformance.com/3562/50.html
Old 03-29-2005, 10:45 PM
fracky99

Hey man just check out the side of your tires and then will say what size your rims are. I have a '99 V6 and they are 16 inch rims and the tires are 205. Just take a look it's there. It will be something like 205/16/40 let me know then the middle number is ur rim size and the first number is the size of ur tire. As for exhaust you could go for flowmaster. I have 40 series flowmasters mufflers and they came with 3 1/2 chopped tips. I got them on e-bay and they were somewhere around $250 and it was easy to install them. I thought it made it sound a little better you can't expect much w/o getting headers, which was my next project and i'd never want to go back to stock it sounds so sweet, but it cost quite a bit more then $300. In my opinion i would save up some more and get the dual exhaust out the rear and then save up for some rims and your set or you could get a Mach 1 chin spoiler.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:39 PM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

stock sizes are a 16x7.5 wheel with a 225/55/16 tire. fvck 225/55/16s. go with 245/50 in front and 255/50 out back. that is what i have and it looks good and you get hella grip with good tires. or go with 18s and fill the wheelwells.

Quick Reply: need new tires if lowered??