V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Doors ~ Are tehy supposed to bend backwards?! HELP

Old 02-11-2008, 10:26 PM
jjkool

Default Doors ~ Are tehy supposed to bend backwards?! HELP

To make a long story I managed to bend my door open way maore then the 40 or so deg its supposed to open by. I got it shut (latch is okay) I can open it only about three inches, its stuck on the body panel infront of it... anyone know good scrap yards in Toronto. or a DIY make door work again lol

JR
Old 02-11-2008, 11:31 PM
02 Stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Doors ~ Are tehy supposed to bend backwards?! HELP

Doors are expensive. $1,871.52 to be exact. But that's also with paint and such.

May I ask how you managed to do that, and why?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:14 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

if the doors ok u can probably just get away with a new hinge, might have bent something inside the door that the hinge attaches to but you could probably torch it and hammer it back into shape.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 AM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

LMAO. Sorry but that is sort of funny. lol How exactly did you do it?

Did you bend any of the metal on the door? I would guess that you bent the hinge or the area around the hinge. You can go out and buy a hinge kit and then bend the area around the hinge back to normal. It shouldn't be to hard of a fix.

I had an old 1987T/A as my first car and the hinges were shot on the driver's side door. Talk about a bitch to change. The doors on it felt like they weighed 200 pounds. lol
Old 02-12-2008, 12:16 PM
The Yellow Pinto

it depends if you want it to look good (like new), or just function properly. if you just want it to function properly, and doesnt care if it doesnt look too good, its a fairly cheap fix, and a body shop can probably monkey on it and fix it for under a couple of hundred bucks, with new hardware, like hinges, and what not. if u want a replacement door, then painted to match, yeah, its gonna be pricey..

Old 02-12-2008, 12:40 PM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

He could go to a junk-yard and get a door and take it to a shop and tell them to paint it to match and put it on and it would probably cost 'around' $500. It depends on how good of a shop it is and how much they charge to put the door on.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:29 PM
jjkool

yea... me an snow banks appearantly dont get along too well! I put something on my passanger seat (cause the trunk is smaller then my pinky) and it was blocking my view of the door... what I didnt notice after I put it in was that the cord on hte unit fell and stopped it from latching shut. when I started going back the door opened just enough to catch itself on a snow bank, and boom!

yea... not fun. There is some damage to teh sheetmetal on the outside of hte door, looks like a hammer some bondo and paint can fixer up... other then that the handle works okay, but hte door is slightly i nthe wrong position, may have to force it back :P
Old 02-14-2008, 03:58 PM
indisposible_teens
4th Gear Member

Did you kink the metal?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:53 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

You most likely need a new door, and fender along with hinges. Go salvage shopping. It is also possible that the a-piller was warped as well. I had a similar thing happen to my truck, but it was a cable that had stapped and caught the partially open door, and fortunately not my head.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doors ~ Are tehy supposed to bend backwards?! HELP