V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

window tinting.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:48 PM
AmericanMustang07
1st Gear Member

Default window tinting.

I was considering the option of getting my windows tinted but in my state the law is 35%. I personally wanted to go lower because in many pictures that I have seen the tint isn't what I want. ( I don't want to be seen, or atleast just the outline) Anywho I was curious to ask both the people who have had it done what their take on it is, and what a reasonable price is for the windsheild, drivers side and passengers side window and finally the rear window. (not the small back side ones b/c I have louvers on them). And also, if you have been pulled over b/c of the tint.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:50 PM
lshuck

Default RE: window tinting.

you more than likely wouldnt get a ticket for it unless you get pulled over for something else first
Old 07-23-2008, 11:26 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

I got my windows tinted today, 20%, its a little bit on the illegal side but the ppl at the shop said the cops won't bother me. It cost me $179 and that was all the windows except the windshield. (Its illegal to tint the windshield in Nebraska, stupid if ya ask me) I think $179 was a little bit high, but they did an excellent job on it so its all worth it. Window tinting does a lot for the appearence of ur car, but if its not the right percentage, then just don't do it, save the money or go illegal! haha
Old 07-24-2008, 01:31 AM
sransari
2nd Gear Member

I have 20% tint on both cars and have never had a problem here in Maryland, even when being pulled over for speeding.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:08 AM
AmericanMustang07
1st Gear Member

yea everyone I talk to or read on forums say that they rarely ever get pulled over or ticketed for window tinting, but when they do apparently its a pain in the *** to get it removed....I guess I just need to find a shop willing to go that low.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

20% is illegal but you can usually get away with it, and dont get the windshield tinted
Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 AM
racefan966

If it is illegal in you state you will probably not find a shop to do it. You will probably have to do it yourself. [8D]
Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Black04
2nd Gear Member

I had illegal tinting done on mine, the shop just made me sign a thing saying that I knew it was illegal and wouldn't hold them responsible if I were to get a ticket.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:49 PM
mcfarway
2nd Gear Member

There are some State Troopers who carry equipment that can detect the degree of tint ... I have a few buddies who were pulled over & ticketed for their tint, independent of any other infraction (the cops were out at night, looking for DUI's or drugs, I assume). One officer even made my buddy peel the tint from the windows (driver/pass side windows) before he let him go ... as always, buyer beware.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:25 PM
The Yellow Pinto

ok, just had my windows tinted yesterday, so i can tell ya first hand. in NC, i believe the law is 35%, so thats what i went with. i went with some real premium stuff...new Carbon window tint from SunTek. Comes with a limited lifetime warranty, against peeling, fading, cracking, discloring, etc. this brand was really highly recommended by a lot of pros. its non-metallic, so it doesnt affect radio reception or cell phone signal (a lot of the metallic ones are great at heat reduction, but can kill your reception), so im real happy with my job.

a lot of people want darker, but i love the look of mine. ive always hated "limo" tint, i thought it usually looked ghetto and cheap. mine looks like it should come on a high end factory mercedes. the job was more expensive, as everything in cary, nc, is...290 installed. but i absolutely love it, and love the fact i have a warranty.

Quick Reply: window tinting.