Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Sponsored by Optima Batteries

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
01RedVert

Default IAT Sensor High Circuit Input

I have an 01 Mustang v6 and am getting the error code "IAT Sensor High Circuit Input." I do not have an IAT Sensor hooked up. There isone unused harness tucked away in the wheel well that I think might be the IAT Sensor harness, however there is no slack to pull it out to reach the intake tube. Also, I've gone to the ford dealership to order the sensor and it doesn't fit into this harness. I was wondering if there is supposed to be some sort of extention wire that goes from the harness I'm mentioning to the IAT Sensor.

I've read that in 01+ models the IAT sensor is combined with the MAF sensor. This is not the case in my car. I think they made this switch half way through 01 because I am positive that the MAF sensor I have is the 00 model (MAF only).

Also, I have the specs for testing the IAT sensor (resistance based on temperature) and have considered just sticking an appropriate resistor in the harness to see if this clears the error code. This would let me know if I have the right harness or not, but I'm worried that I might damage something if this isnot the IAT sensor harness. What do you think about this?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. If you have an 98-01 Mustang go take a look at it and tell me if the harness for the IAT sensor attaches to another harness inside the wheel well. You should be able to see it through the hole from the engine bay to the wheel well.

In the picture you can see the harness I'm talking about. Its a round harness while the actual IAT sensor is more oval shaped. The large red wire you see forks and one of the forks goes to the MAF sensor.

[IMG]local://upfiles/101884/CCC25DEDEB2F409FAECE2A1DB95F13A0.jpg[/IMG]
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
01RedVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
01RedVert

Default RE: IAT Sensor High Circuit Input

Someone please take 5 minutes to go look at their Mustang and tell me whats up.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
The Yellow Pinto

im sorry, man, ill give u a bump at least. i have a 98, and my iat is in my intake tube, after the maf. good luck.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
01RedVert

Thanks for the response. Did the harness on your car look like the one in the picture. My harness (the one in the picture) is round in shape, but according to autozones database the sensor listed for my car is more oval in shape and doesn't fit.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
01RedVert

So, I figured it out. The IAT was wired to the MAF sensor harness, but the MAF that fits this harness did not have the IAT included. The MAF that does have the IAT included (01 MAF) does not fit the harness I have. I went to a junkyard and swapped out the wiring harness for one that had a seperate IAT and simply swapped them out. FORD definately did some weird stuff here.

The harness from the yard is exactly like mine, but has 2 empty slots and a seperate harness for the IAT. My harness has no empty slots. Apparently my setup, which is a 00 harness that wires to an IAT/MAF integrated unit does not exist according to the Ford/Autozone databases. The setup they pull up is an integrated IAT/MAF sensor, but it has a completely different harness (It's smaller and flatter).
Old 08-03-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
The Yellow Pinto

cool man, im glad you got it figured out. that would have driven me crazy. but, now that you are good, you are good. reset your battery for an hr if you need to to get rid of the cel, and you are good! enjoy it.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:17 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
04, 38, 94, 98, circuit, ford, gt, high, iat, mustang, sensor, shows, temp, test, v6