V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Radiator Fan Problems Please Help, Over Heating Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 01:00 PM
96mustangv6
2nd Gear Member

Cool Radiator Fan Problems Please Help, Over Heating Problems

OK so awhile back my car had over heating problem. So I replaced the thermostat with a cooler one and flushed the system. Well the other day my radiator Fan went out on the car so i bought a new one. The old one looked like it was replaced cause it wasnt the same kind that i bought from Autozone.

1st question- Which way is the fan suposed to spin. The old one sucked the air from the radiator and blew it on the motor. Now this one i put in it sucks the air from the engine compartment and blows it into the radiator.

2nd Question- My radiator fan only comes on with the A/C turned on. It does not turn on unless i turn the A/C on. The car will Go all the way up to The "A" and "L" on "Normal" and still does not kick the radiator fan on. But if i turn the A/C on it turns the fan on and it cools down the motor.

Is there any fuses, Relays, Sensors or anything That can be wrong cause i have to drive through town to go to work and it overheats almost and its starting to get to cold to run the A/C all the time.

Any Help is appreciated. Its a 97 V6 with about 195,000 miles on it. Yea i know its alot lol and now im paying for it in problems. Its an Auto To if that helps.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:56 PM
brxan
1st Gear Member

Have you replaced the coolant temperature sender unit? It's threaded into a coolant passage right on top of the engine (I have a 96, so I assume it's similar to yours). If it's not working then the PCM won't be getting the signal to switch the fan on.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:16 PM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

If your aftermarket fan is not blowing onto the motor and sucking air past your radiator you have either installed it wrong or you have your power wires crossed making it spin backwards.
If you pull the connector off of your temperature sensor, just above your thermostat on top of a 3" standoff, your fan should come on as a function check of the system. If that works then replace that coolant sensor. Unless your ac is running, your fan does not come on until it reaches a certain temperature. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:24 PM
96mustangv6
2nd Gear Member

I Have Not changed the coolant temp sensor. This is the motor that is supposed to be in the car. The old fan motor was smaller so they might have changed the wires. I bought the car with 160,000 miles on it. So it is supposed to suck the air from the radiator and blow it on the motor right. And if i unplug the temp sensor the fan should come on then without the A/C. Cause right now it only comes on with the a/c when the car is up to temp(let it idle for 30 mins it never once kicked the fan on with the A/C off.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:41 PM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 96mustangv6
I Have Not changed the coolant temp sensor. This is the motor that is supposed to be in the car. The old fan motor was smaller so they might have changed the wires. I bought the car with 160,000 miles on it. So it is supposed to suck the air from the radiator and blow it on the motor right. And if i unplug the temp sensor the fan should come on then without the A/C. Cause right now it only comes on with the a/c when the car is up to temp(let it idle for 30 mins it never once kicked the fan on with the A/C off.

The fan is designed to run only when your water is starting to get hot. But it is also designed to run to pull air across your ac condensor, mounted just forward of your radiator, to keep your ac from over pressurizing. The ac is considered more critical than your water temp and therefore will run as long as the ac is powered. That sensor I mentioned, acts as a connector between the radiator coolant and the computer. As the water heats up it creates an opening inbetween. That is why if you remove that connector your computer will think the water is overtemping and cut the fan on at full power.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:43 PM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

Also I should add if your fan is blowing the wrong way it is fighting the air coming into your compartment from driving forward.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:07 PM
95redv6stang
2nd Gear Member

I had the same same problem as 2nd question. There is a Sensor up and too the left of the thermo. housing. You can replace that and it should help with the fan problem. As a temp. fix i would say to just unplug the wire until you get the sensor. This will keep your fan on HIGH anytime the motor is running. Let me know if you need a pic or something.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:59 AM
96mustangv6
2nd Gear Member

Can you guys show me a pic cause im not sure where the sensor is on the car. I had to replace one on my dodge neon but it was on the side of the block where there was no hoses. So can someone show me pic of the sensor. And should i just switch the red and black wires around on the fan to make it spin the other way?
Old 10-05-2008, 01:03 AM
96mustangv6
2nd Gear Member

Also my car dosnt have the check engine light on. When the Coolant Temp Sensor went out on my Neon it tripped the check engine light but there is no check engine light on in the mustang.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:35 PM
brxan
1st Gear Member

This is what the sensor looks like: http://www.autozone.com/images/produ...l2su284003.jpg

And on this engine you can see it between the bottom left of the intake manifold and top right of the ignition coil: http://customerpics.americanmuscle.c...3723&sku=14075

Quick Reply: Radiator Fan Problems Please Help, Over Heating Problems