V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Check Engine Light/P0301 Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:16 AM
baibbas
1st Gear Member

Default Check Engine Light/P0301 Code

Check engine light is on, P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire detected. Light flashes off and on every so often, then goes back to being steady.

New plugs, new wires, new coil pack, got the smog pump problem worked out, ordered a new one from Motorcraft, now just this one problem.

EGR valve?
Old 11-23-2008, 12:30 PM
baibbas
1st Gear Member

Oh, and when its driving between 40-50mph it's really rough feeling.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

What year car? how many miles? Have you changed anything recently? What major works has been done to it?

Matthew
Old 11-23-2008, 05:04 PM
l_shizzle_l
5th Gear Member

I think that when the CEL flashes that means your car has gone into limp mode, which is not good. I don't think the EGR is your problem, the only part of the EGR system that tends to go out is the DFPE sensor, which throws a code P0401 code.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:54 PM
baibbas
1st Gear Member

No, the Check Engine light flashes about every so often, the rest of the time it stays steady. The only code that the computer throws is P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire. I've cleared the code out several times to be sure that's the only code and that is it.

I've read that the EGR valve can affect the vacuum and compression, which can relate to a cylinder misfire.

Can't hurt to replace it, I got a new EGR valve and it was only $44 at Auto Zone..take that dealer ripoffs.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 AM
baibbas
1st Gear Member

Youch....replaced the EGR valve..the amount of carbon buildup in the entire valve and the intake into the engine was phenomenal...cleaned (rather scraped) it clean, installed the new valve. Car idles and runs a lot smoother...but now for some reason the accelerator is harder to push than it was before I replaced the EGR valve.

Ideas or maybe since the correct vacuum is back that's normal and I never noticed it before?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:20 PM
baibbas
1st Gear Member

*Bump*

Getting answers in this place is like pulling teeth.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

You didnt answer my questions....cant give help without some of that info....

Matthew
Old 11-26-2008, 06:02 PM
red3.8_96stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by baibbas
Youch....replaced the EGR valve..the amount of carbon buildup in the entire valve and the intake into the engine was phenomenal...cleaned (rather scraped) it clean, installed the new valve. Car idles and runs a lot smoother...but now for some reason the accelerator is harder to push than it was before I replaced the EGR valve.

Ideas or maybe since the correct vacuum is back that's normal and I never noticed it before?
The EGR valve is operated via computer control. It should not affect your throttle pedal. It could cause that misfire but not only on one cylinder you would be more likely to get a random misfire. I would pull out Plug #1 & check it & the plug wire for problems.

A flashing engine light means the computer has judged the misfire is currenly bad enough to damage your catylist, which means it is quite bad. :-)
Old 11-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Ecto96

I dunno, I've been told that the EGR position sensor will not affect the way the car runs BULLSH*T!!

My 96 3.8L had an original sensor that went bad. When that happened I was getting about 10mpg city, maybe 12 highway, and everytime I went to start off, the car was jerky and even backfiring. That sensor is an evil little part and I've heard of one guy who owned a mustang similar to mine that he had to replace that part every 6 months. It's just another one of ford's little garbage parts. I'd say run some injector cleaner through it, might have an injector sticking, especially if your mustang is a bit old and has original injectors. Barring that, wouldn't hurt to look into the EGR position sensor.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light/P0301 Code