V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Some help from the V6 crowd

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:16 AM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

Default Some help from the V6 crowd

Ok....My little brother now owns my older '98 3.8L 6er. Its got 75k on the clock, and I think its time to make it a little faster (so does he).

So far we planned on this:

Lt's with a shorty H and a GT takeoff catback

T-lok for the 7.5 and 3.73's

TRi ax short throw

Steeda UD pulleys

and it already has a CAI

Now IDK much about the v6 and what these engines can handle, so I have been doing some research about mods on these engines and I cant decide whats the best route for his car.

I either want to throw an M90 from a Supercoupe on there, or spray the hell out of it. (M112 is too much $$$ for him--sorry Matt), so what kind of boost levels can these stock 3.8s hold? I wanted to forge it anyway, but i need to know what safe levels are for the block and the assembly, because we might not be able to forge it right away.

I heard a 75shot is a safe bet, but I really dont know. any input would be appreciated, and as this is the first 6er I am modding, if you guys would do something different please let me know.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:30 AM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Originally Posted by _Slowbra_
Ok....My little brother now owns my older '98 3.8L 6er. Its got 75k on the clock, and I think its time to make it a little faster (so does he).

So far we planned on this:

Lt's with a shorty H and a GT takeoff catback

T-lok for the 7.5 and 3.73's

TRi ax short throw

Steeda UD pulleys

and it already has a CAI

Now IDK much about the v6 and what these engines can handle, so I have been doing some research about mods on these engines and I cant decide whats the best route for his car.

I either want to throw an M90 from a Supercoupe on there, or spray the hell out of it. (M112 is too much $$$ for him--sorry Matt), so what kind of boost levels can these stock 3.8s hold? I wanted to forge it anyway, but i need to know what safe levels are for the block and the assembly, because we might not be able to forge it right away.

I heard a 75shot is a safe bet, but I really dont know. any input would be appreciated, and as this is the first 6er I am modding, if you guys would do something different please let me know.
it sounds like you have a pretty good plan set up! Only thing I would do is skip the UDP's, since if you got FI they will just lower the boost.

But as for setups, I would go with the M90. Its pretty easy to simply find a wrecked supercoupe and pull the engine- its pretty much a drop-in for the mustang. the upside is that they SC block can take a bit more horsepower then the mustangs 3.8, sicne they SC has factory forged parts(still not great, but better).

as for power, its so much the amount of boost as horsepower. the standard 3.8 will take around 350rwhp safely- more then that you better be on a GREAT tune, since the hypereucraptastic pistons like to powederize. the supercoupe will take a bit more, at 400.

But, there is good news- no need to buy a new block! even the highest power sixxers(700+) are still using the factory block and cranks- there isnt anything stronger! not that theres anything aftermarket anyway, we dont need it...
Old 11-24-2008, 07:43 AM
03sixbanger
Ryan's Backup Mod

very well put alex
Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

skip the tlok and get a detroit or an eaton LSD, i blow FRPP diffs up on pretty much stock power

also i want to say that on a 98 theres something with the EGR on LTs that will need to be changed?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:46 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

98's do have a differnet EGR for the LTs, and as far as I know, nobody makes one that is a direct fit.

Stocker manifolds are good to about 350 anyway, and it you are doing forced induction to get there with a vastly stock motor, you won't need long tubes.

I'd jump straight to the M90 (M112 won't work anyway) or a Pro Charger set up, do the rear/gears and get a better suspenion and brakes for it.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:26 AM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
98's do have a differnet EGR for the LTs, and as far as I know, nobody makes one that is a direct fit.

Stocker manifolds are good to about 350 anyway, and it you are doing forced induction to get there with a vastly stock motor, you won't need long tubes.

I'd jump straight to the M90 (M112 won't work anyway) or a Pro Charger set up, do the rear/gears and get a better suspenion and brakes for it.
he could do a Jaguar M112 modified to fit on the supercoupe setup. it's been done before
Old 11-24-2008, 05:09 PM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

ok...revised the plan a little thanks to you guys.

stock shorties with the GT midpipe and catback

probably go with an aftermarket LSD then (since nobody seems to like frpp) w/ 3.73's

short throw

SC M90...i just found an ENTIRE car for $350, cant beat that.

brake upgrade...probably just take them off of a newer GT

lookin at some suspension stuff....trying to get my head beyond my IRS Ive been dealing with

and we will probably throw the U/D 's on there until the blower goes on.

thanks for the heads up on the LT's....any other ideas let me know

Last edited by _Slowbra_; 11-24-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: not looking like a complete a**....
Old 11-24-2008, 05:16 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

yea its in my sig but it was poking fun at some other guy, you cant port the stock manifolds
Old 11-24-2008, 05:32 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Off topic:
Hahahaha, I didn't even notice you changed your sig. After what he posted about me/my mom in the Saleen/Roush section, I'm guessing he won't be around long.

On topic:
On an N/A V6, I'd go with a pair of high flow cats instead of no cats. the back pressure retains the power lower in the RPM range. No cats will cost you in the RPM range that you normally drive in. (Even though none will help up top, you never really work the engine that high.)
Old 11-24-2008, 05:56 PM
_Slowbra_
2nd Gear Member

i knew i saw it somewhere, and thats it....the flux capacitor and oil bypass shouldve given that away, i just didnt read that far...damn. I was wondering how in the world you would port them for gains? and i couldnt figure it out for the life of me...

oh well, i just know that anything on the exhaust side of my car really helps out so if you guys are porting certain things out...then it must be a good idea for the sixxers. i had never heard of it, but there are a lot of things i have never heard of, so it was kind of a "huh....anything that helps i guess"

thanks for the cat advice matt, i'll def. keep it catted then.

Quick Reply: Some help from the V6 crowd