V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

2004 Front End Vibration

Old 01-11-2009, 07:01 AM
lmaz806

Default 2004 Front End Vibration

I have a 2004 Mustang 3.9L V6 with an automatic transmission and about 45,000 miles. There is a vibration that seems to be in the front end of the car. It feels like the tires are out of balance but I have had them balanced and rotated twice so that is not the problem. I thought it might be the wheel bearings but I'm not sure. The transmission does not seem to shift real smooth so I was wondering if there could be a problem there. The vibration seems to be more noticable at slower speeds. Hope someone has some ideas for me before I take it to the dealership. Thanks in advance.

Lou
Old 01-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Is the vibration in the steering wheel or throughout the car?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:38 AM
lmaz806

Hey Fink...thanks for the reply. It seems to be more throughout the car than just the steering wheel shaking or vibrating. Wish I could be more specific, but guess I could say it kind of feels like you are riding over very small "rumble strips". It's not a violent shaking or vibration. Hope this helps.

Lou
Old 01-11-2009, 11:07 AM
96GT34
1st Gear Member

is the driveablity affected like is it hard to turn the wheel, have a delayed reaction when turning the wheel anything like that, and is there alot of play in the steering wheel??
Old 01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
lmaz806

No there is not a lot of play in the steering wheel or there doesn't seem to be a problem turning just a fairly constant vibration. Like I said before it feels like the tires are out of balance. Do you think there could be a problem with one or more of the stock wheels?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:43 AM
patrick.detroit

Imaz, did you ever find out what was wrong? I have a 2004, 3.9 with the same problem.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 PM
ezrydr58

Just bought an 04 3.8 75k miles and it had same symptoms. Had shop check alignment and they wound up replacing tie rod ends. That took care of most of the vibration but still had some.
Meanwhile I noticed front brakes were dragging. The caliper pistons were unable to move back into cylinders, both sides but the right one was worse. Replaced the calipers and to my surprise that also cured what was left of the vibration.

You mileage may vary

Good luck and let us know what you find the cause is
Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM
alburton

Lou,
Could be drive angles.
From what I understand, the angle of the the slip yoke (out the back of the tranny), and the driveshaft should equal the angle of the driveshaft to the differential input yoke.
I've heard that with time, the transmission mount deteriorates (vibration, transmission fluid, age, etc.), and the transmission drops a bit causing the angle to disappear, and vibration to occur.
I also have/had the "driving over rumble strip" issue, but only at very slow speed. I took my car to the tranny shop that gave me this diagnosis, and now the vibration is gone. They swear they didn't do anything, but I think they adjusted the drive angle (shimmed the tranny mount). They're friends of mine.
Al
Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 AM
patrick.detroit

I replaced tires, shocks & struts, lower front end ball joints, transmission mount, right lower control arm, had a road force balance, and alignment. Almost all the vibration is gone. Vibration only happens at 60-65 mph, and not all the time. The last time the vibration was happening I put the car in neutral and the vibration didn't stop. I then shut the car off and the vibration didn't stop. I'm pretty sure this rules out drivetrain. I checked the bearings, motor mounts, and pinion angle. Any thoughts?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:44 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

If I understand what you're saying, you shut the engine off while moving and the vibration was still there? It can still be drive train because the rear tires are moving as are the gears and drive shaft.

If that is correct, how old are your U joints?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Front End Vibration