V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Mini rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Juno
2nd Gear Member

I got an 4 months till he get driver license...
So what about prices? About how much i have to spent on it?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:51 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

I built a shopping list on PartsAmerica.com (Advanced Auto PArts down here) and it was actually not too bad.

Front and rear pads and rotors - Raybestos
Front hub bearings
Lower ball joints
Driveshaft u-joints
Inner and Outer tie rod ends
Shocks/struts - Monroe
Output shaft seal
Spark plugs - NGK
Spark plug wires - Motorcraft
Serpintine Belt - Goodyear
Upper and lower radiator, and bypass hoses - Gates
PCV valve - Purolator
Thermostat & gasket - Motorcraft

All these things added up to $1063.02 and they do free shipping!

Some of the stuff isn't necessarily the cheapest, but it's either a much better quality product, or it has a better warranty.

With fluids and everything add about another $200-300. I'd recommend flushing the cooling system completely, and puting in all good stuff with the new components, change the oil of course, change trany fluid, change the rear end fluid WHEN YOU CHANGE THE AXLE SEALS since the axles have to come out at that time.

Pretty much all of these jobs can be done with pretty simple hand tools, the front hubs take longer to get the wheels off that it does to swap out. Doing a lot of this stuff at one time will save you a lot of time, since on the front, just to put on new struts, you pretty much take the whole suspension apart anyway, so it's esy to slide a new hub bearing on, and pop off the spindle to replace the balljoint, the whole front end may take you 3-4 hours to do, replacing all the stuff on the engine, maybe 2 hours, and the rear end might take another hour to do. Taking the driveshaft out is pretty easy, and while it's out getting the new u-joint, you can pop in that new output shaft seal, and then drain the remaning fluid out and refill with good stuff. So if you really get to it, you can knock in a saturday, if not barely a sunday and be riding around in it that night.

The only things on this I say DO NOT INSTALL YOURSELF are the inner and outer tie rod ends. Go get an alignment and pay to have them installed.

So for basically around $2k, you know the car is going to be safe and reliable, and handle almost as well as it did when it was brand new.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Juno
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for this list!
1k For the parts its not so bad, parts to Mustang are so cheap My friends volvo is so ******* expensive

Thank you guys again i really appreciate that

Just got one more question, how is called part that is on image (Inside the hood)

I need to buy it coz its nothing inside, and i just cant close the hood.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

That's the latch catch plate. You can't just buy one. It's made into the hood structure itself. If it's not there, the safest thing to do is buy a new hood. How the hell is it not there?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Juno
2nd Gear Member

Its just not there, tomorrow i will make the pictures and post them here, you will see