V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Super OR Turbo For a 3.9 Liter! HELP! :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:29 AM
ezekiel90
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shaunmac9128
i would think but I am not postive, you should look into upgrading the rear end first such as gears and lsd, also new springs/shocks if you want. Maybe a strut tower bar or roll bar off an older gt to help with chassie flex. But once again ask lilroush or someone else on here first. You might also need to upgrade the fuel system not sure what though depends on what your running, like the svt focus pump I believe.
yea your going to want all of that. You should get a couple of engine mods before a supercharger too. like a port and polish and get a new cam
Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by B_Burgess
I'll be the first one to admit that im not that knowledgable about these things. What i planned on getting before, or at the same time as this mod, is new headers and a performance exaust. Along with a new clutch and a flywheel, a chip - so i can eliminate the govoner. umm. no specific order. Any advice I can get from you guys would be EXTREEMLY usefull.
If you do exhaust, get long tube headers, a mid pipe with high flow cats and a pair of mufflers you like. Flywheel isn't needed unless you really like spending money. Skip the 'chip'. They are junk. Besides, you'll be getting a custom tune once you add a blower anyway which will negate the chip.

As for the rest, a better rear is a good idea. Do suspension to match your driving style. Don't waste time on the strut tower brace if you are going M112. It won't fit over the giant blower on top of the motor.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:56 PM
B_Burgess

Alright awsome. Ok assuming that i get the supercharger first, (which is what i plan on doing), What are the things im going to want to do before i get it installed. In other words what am i doing to want to buy and install before i drop in the S/C. I know this was already sopmewhat mentioned but if i can get it in list form it would be highly appreciated. This is what i KNOW im going to get installed before the S/C goes in....

Longtube Headers and Exhaust (cant find longtubes for the V6)
Stage 2 Clutch (i dont know if a stage 3 is to much or not)

Please extend the list. In order of what should be installed first making ur way to the supercharger.

Last edited by B_Burgess; 02-02-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 PM
B_Burgess

Or just simply tell me what i need to upgrade before i install a supercharger...lol
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM
B_Burgess

Originally Posted by ezekiel90
yea your going to want all of that. You should get a couple of engine mods before a supercharger too. like a port and polish and get a new cam
ezekiel90, you dont happen to know where i can find a new cam do you? Ive looked pretty hard for one but i cant get any sites, absolutly none.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Depends on what all you want in the long run. If you are going to do other engine work, do it first. No point in installing and tuning an SC, then taking it all off just to do heads and a cam later, only to have to reinstall and retune the whole thing.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

I know where you can get a cam...

You're going to want to do fuel mods, and exhast mods at the least...

headers:
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/c=J...ting_Only.html
Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 PM
B_Burgess

Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG
I know where you can get a cam...
Where?

And what exaust and mid-pipe(if any) do i get with those longtube headers? - It needs to be a dual.

Sorry for all the questions but i wouldnt ask if i didnt already try to find it myself.

Last edited by B_Burgess; 02-03-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 AM
l_shizzle_l
5th Gear Member

Kyle has a local guy who gets him cams. Check out www.supersixmotorsports.com they have the best stuff for the v6 mustang.
as for the midpipe you are going to need a "shortie" mid pipe. Get a hold of Sik98GT on 3.8 I know he has longtubes and mid pipes for them.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:57 PM
B_Burgess

Heres a stupid question... What is this biggest difference between Short and Longtube headers if i was gonna supercharge my stang? Like if i bought shorties and then added a S/C would there be any problems or what?

Last edited by B_Burgess; 02-05-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Super OR Turbo For a 3.9 Liter! HELP! :)