V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Need Opinions / Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:54 AM
teynon

Default Need Opinions / Advice

I am modding my car some. I'm not planning on selling my car and getting a GT. I am modding my V6, don't tell me to go buy a GT.

1) Lowering Kit. I've already ordered a lowering kit for my car. I was told that lowering it should make it maneuver better and add that aggressive look to it. I spent about $230 on the kit and was told it should be pretty easy to do myself. Potentially installing this kit tonight.

2) Dual Exhaust. I am going to be ordering a dual exhaust system for my car next week. This should be relatively easy to install, correct? How much should I plan on spending and what should I know before I do this? I have had my car on a lift and I was told, and it appears, that the body already has everything set up for dual exhaust.

3) Tires. I am going to be buying new / better tires for the car. What should I buy, how much should I spend? I might take it to a strip once, but mostly just driving around the street.

4) Supercharger. What should I get? How much should I spend? Should it be easy to install myself or should I pay someone to do it?

5) Paint job. Once I get all this done, I am going to repaint it with my own design. I will make stencils for the painter. How much should I spend and what details should I be aware of? I also may just paint the car myself.

Also, are there any other things that I might want to look into to increase performance, handling, or look? I'm generally not too knowledgeable on what I can do to my car. I don't want to go around thinking I can just look at the video games I play ;D. I also need to see if anyone knows of a good site for engine cleaning / general non level 1 operator maintenance. Something I can do myself. I live on a military base and have a place that rents us lifts and all the equipment we need for cheap.

Thanks to all for opinions and advice!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:14 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

1. Just springs? You need to get some shocks and possibly caster/camber plates

2. Buy MAC long tubes, an h-pipe, and then a GT catback will bolt right up

3. Buy a nice set of wheels with tires as a package, you generally can save a good bit of money

4. Eaton M112 swap, it's the least expensive and fairly simple

5. My paint job came at a very special rate, but a good custom job will run you in the neighborhood of $7500-10,000.

When I was stationed in NC, my car rarely left the hoddy shop on base, I was always doing something to it, it's a great resource.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM
teynon

Thanks Ryan, what about doing a cold air intake? Is it worth it? Seems pretty cheap, but I also was reading that it creates potential to flood your engine if you drive in the rain... and, i'm assuming by NC you were at Fort Bragg. That's where I am now.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 AM
StangKid018
3rd Gear Member

I got a shaker intake and im a daily driver and it connects to my stock airbox intake and ive never had any problems in the rain, even sometimes when its down poring. An under the hood intake like the MAC ones shouldnt give you any problems but not much more power then a K&N Filter slapped onto the stock intake with a removed silencer.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 PM
3.0Taurass
3rd Gear Member

For looks you can get a body kit, or get a cobra front fascia or something.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:49 PM
l_shizzle_l
5th Gear Member

The intake will be fine as long as you don't drive through any rivers. How many miles are on your current engine? If it's high then you could consider building another stroker v6 on the side(like I am doing).
Old 02-02-2009, 09:04 PM
teynon

My car has 119k on it. I got the front springs installed today. I have to look at the left front one again though. It's rubbing on something. I think I messed up putting the calibre back on. Was quite entertaining to do though, considering I don't know **** about cars. The second only took 30 minutes and had no problems though... Now for the back... Should be more entertaining. Any idea what would make a light metal hum when I drive? Anyway, I also bought some tires and rims today. Rims: Black Bullitt 17x8 Tire: Sumitomo High Performance HTR Z III Tire

Thanks for advice.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:15 PM
my94pony
4th Gear Member

idk if ur explaining the same sound i had but when i was doing brakes or springs i dont remember i hit my dust guard and it bent into the rotor, made a nasty sound but an easy fix just had to bend it back
Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 PM
teynon

Actually, that sounds just about right. Because everything else functions fine... Good thinking . I'll fix it tommorrow...
Old 02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
teynon

Lowering kit installed. Finished it this evening. Wasn't too rough. But, I think it is hitting the little rubber stop in the back when I shift to / from reverse. Yes, I did replace the rubber piece with the new one that came with the springs. Just curious if that's something I have to deal with... I dont know for sure if thats it, but it seems to kick when I shift. Other than that, seems to be smooth! Anything I should be watching for? Problems or noises?

Quick Reply: Need Opinions / Advice