V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

I Need Dual Exhaust Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Polkaudio
1st Gear Member

Default I Need Dual Exhaust Advice

I'm still pretty new to the whole Mustang modding and I need advice bad!!! I've seen tons of threads about dual exhaust, but all these different setups seem confusing. I don't want to do "fake" dual exhaust, but I have no idea how to go about doing "true" dual exhaust and/or what I need and which brands are best. Also do I go for performance improvement or sound. Can somebody please clarify and/or suggest a "mean" true dual setup? Thanks.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:15 PM
moontang
4th Gear Member

well if you want the cheapest quickest way i would say just go to a exhaust shop and have them cut your stock y off and weld a H pipe and mufflers of your choice on then either run dumps or tail pipes its up to you

or if you want the full thing get mac long tubes mac o/r H (which you can have high flow cats welded in if you want) and a catback of your choice most people will say stick with a chambered muffler like a flowmaster or thrush and avoid a glass pack style muffler like a cherry bomb or magnapak

stay away from shorty headers you will see no gain from them

any other questions?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:35 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moontang
well if you want the cheapest quickest way i would say just go to a exhaust shop and have them cut your stock y off and weld a H pipe and mufflers of your choice on then either run dumps or tail pipes its up to you

or if you want the full thing get mac long tubes mac o/r H (which you can have high flow cats welded in if you want) and a catback of your choice most people will say stick with a chambered muffler like a flowmaster or thrush and avoid a glass pack style muffler like a cherry bomb or magnapak

any other questions?
I have no issues with my cherry bombs......
Old 07-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

You also have a V8.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:48 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Synyster06Gates
You also have a V8.
True, but a muffler is a muffler, and I have the vortex turbo style. Exhaust is still exhaust no matter whats in front of it. I would say go with mid to long tube headers, high flow cats (if in an emissions area, or if you still want them), H or X pipe, and a cat back that you enjoy the sound of. There are many clips on youtube so you can hear what different brands sound like. You will need a shop to install hangers on one side or you could go to the salvage yard and get them off a GT or Cobra. They're simple bolt in hangers, 2 hangers, 4 bolts total (per side), one by the tip and one by the muffler. If you really want to go the true dual route you will most likely have to get a universal kit, or have a shop custom bend the pipes.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Polkaudio
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moontang

any other questions?
Is there a difference in HP gains depending on the setup (i.e. H-pipe vs. X-pipe, cats vs. no cats)? How much difference does getting long headers make? What is the most common dual setup for us sixers? I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I want to make sure whatever I decide to do I do it right.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

HP gains between H/X pipes is minimal on our cars, not worth thinking about. Cats vs no cats... some say you gain HP but lose low end torque, some say no gains other than sound. Long tube headers is a pretty good upgrade both for power and sound. I'd say about 10-15rwhp when coupled with intake and a tune. The most common set up for our cars is probably stock headers, with cats to a custom H pipe or divorced duals with your choice of mufflers. Some do go with O/R H or X pipes as well.

As for A Penguin, you cannot be serious when you say that the mufflers will sound the same with different engines in front of it. Moontang probably said to stay away from glasspacks and straight through mufflers because they sound like rice on our 6ers, especially at high RPMs
Old 07-03-2009, 03:44 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

long tube headers, high flow cats, H pipe, 2.5" catback with chambered mufflers

/thread
Old 07-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Polkaudio
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Is there a big sound difference with long tube versus catback?
Old 07-03-2009, 09:12 PM
moontang
4th Gear Member

first off mufflers will sound VERY different depending on whats in front of them and personally i have a straight through muffler but its not a glass pack its a lm1 and yes it does sound very very very loud above 3k rpm some say its almost like a sport bike anyway long tubes will sound very different from shorties and there are no midlength for our cars the differrence in ?H and X pipes will be the sound and a bit of back preassure h will have a deeper less raspy sound then a X

its not the best vid but here is my exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz7ZcGxe5Tw

Quick Reply: I Need Dual Exhaust Advice