V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Newbie with a Query (BBK or Acufab TB)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Barricade81

Default Newbie with a Query (BBK or Acufab TB)

Greetings fellow 'stang owners.

Any of you 6 shooters out there added the BBK or Acufab throttle body? If so, what's been your experience with them? I am debating between the BBK 65 mm, Acufab 65 mm, or Acufab 70 mm. I've heard some say Acufab is above and beyond the others, but I've never dealt with either. And I've heard people say to go with 65 instead of 70 because my car is only lightly modded at the present and that a 70 would just bog it down too much.

Also, I've always been one of these guys who's kind of skeptical about even doing the throttle body mod. I've heard many say it's a waste of money, and I've heard many say it made their throttle response much better, added noticeable power, and that if you have a cold air intake already on it, that it really helps a lot.

What is the stock TB size on an '01? Is it 56 or 60 mm? I've heard it both ways.

By the way, I have an '01 Black hardtop, 5 speed manual, and 48,000 very well maintained miles; as of now just a K&N CAI and a Flowmaster cat-back for performance parts.

Also, something I have noticed on the throttle ever since I added the K&N system. When I will be driving along around town at say 30 to 40 mph, once in a while, it will just make a little jerk, not electrical jolt, but just like a jump in the whole car, I'm no technician, but it seems to correspond with me going slightly in and out on the throttle. When I cruise in 5th on the highways, this never seems to happen at all, it really only does this in 3rd or 4th gear at the lower speeds in town. It doesn't do it all the time, maybe only once or twice per hour of driving it, so it's not enough for me to hate it, but it is enough to know it's not just going to go away.

So my point is this, do you guys think that's a situation with the new intake trying to push too much cool air through the stock throttle body?? And if that is the case, would the aftermarket TBs take care of that problem?

I would hate to spend the $250-$300 on a TB and waste it. I know it's not a huge power gain, if any, but if it can give better throttle response and take care of that sudden jerk around town, and get even 5 or 6 ponies, that's worth it for me.

Pics and stuff coming soon. Chao!
Old 07-07-2009, 02:03 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Neither, you will see no gain from it. A new K&N is over-oiled from the factory so you'll need to pop out your MAF and clean it.

I recommend an underdrive pulley or an SCT programmer, you'll see good results out of either one, as opposed to a throttle body or spacer or anything like that.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Stangcharger

Originally Posted by RyansQuick6
Neither, you will see no gain from it. A new K&N is over-oiled from the factory so you'll need to pop out your MAF and clean it.

I recommend an underdrive pulley or an SCT programmer, you'll see good results out of either one, as opposed to a throttle body or spacer or anything like that.
x2.

i made 385rwhp with stock TB.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 AM
bgnn32
2nd Gear Member

Throttle bodies are a waste of money for the most part, very few situations where one would net you anything on the v6.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:22 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Yeah, what they said.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Barricade81

Yea those are the same things I've always thought about it. Thanks for the replies everyone