V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

super coupe to 95 mustang swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 PM
bobby7821

Default super coupe to 95 mustang swap

Hello to all! I've a couple of questions, I have a 95 mustang 3.8 and interested in the supercharged 3.8 in the thunderbird super coupe i plan on swapin one over to my 95 ? If i get a complete donor car, will i have all the needed parts and will the computer need adjusted and if so how? I've seen some on youtube love the look, the sound, and they seem to produce pretty good boost in power. Any insight would be greatly appreciated........Thanks in advance!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:58 AM
sweetcoupe

I had a 91 supercoupe back a while ago. It was my first car and it was a lot of fun....until i got my gt lol.

the sound is awesome i gotta admit. Im not too familiar with your engine but the supercoupe had some engine mods done to it to handle the supercharger hence you really couldnt put a supercharger even on the regular 3.8 thunderbird. So i would assume you would have to put the whole engine in there. Also the supercoupe had tons of sensors and whatnot so i would assume you would need its computer and im not sure if that would work in your setup. and did you see the engine bay in those things? it was like ford piled up all the components and slammed the hood shut squishing everything in there... It was near impossible just to change spark plugs.

As with anything, anything is possible. That would be a TON of work though and what are you really gaining? my 91 stock had 210 rwhp i believe with 305 ftlbs torque. Not really worth it in my opinion. Buy a supercharger made for your mustang.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:59 AM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

89 to 93 supercoupe made 210 hp and 315 lbs of torque at 2600 rpm.and 94 and 95's had 230 hp.and you cant put a sc of a supercoupe on a regular 3.8.the blocks were made different.and the supercoupe made 12 lbs of boost stock.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:02 AM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sweetcoupe
I had a 91 supercoupe back a while ago. It was my first car and it was a lot of fun....until i got my gt lol.

the sound is awesome i gotta admit. Im not too familiar with your engine but the supercoupe had some engine mods done to it to handle the supercharger hence you really couldnt put a supercharger even on the regular 3.8 thunderbird. So i would assume you would have to put the whole engine in there. Also the supercoupe had tons of sensors and whatnot so i would assume you would need its computer and im not sure if that would work in your setup. and did you see the engine bay in those things? it was like ford piled up all the components and slammed the hood shut squishing everything in there... It was near impossible just to change spark plugs.

As with anything, anything is possible. That would be a TON of work though and what are you really gaining? my 91 stock had 210 rwhp i believe with 305 ftlbs torque. Not really worth it in my opinion. Buy a supercharger made for your mustang.
First of all, the 91 SC's have 210bhp, not rwhp. Secondly, it can be done, and has been done, but yes, it is a good amount of work if you have good experience around a car. If you have more time than money, it's doable for a cheap boosted sixxer. It would be best to start with the whole donor car so you don't have to piece it together, and you have the wiring harness to splice in a few things. (iac, iat i believe, and extend the coil pack harness or spread the harness works too, custom ac lines, custom throttle bracket, custom egr, there's a ton of stuff man). Search around the internet, you can find information for the whole process.

Last edited by JKs95stang; 10-23-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:04 AM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tohoopty
89 to 93 supercoupe made 210 hp and 315 lbs of torque at 2600 rpm.and 94 and 95's had 230 hp.and you cant put a sc of a supercoupe on a regular 3.8.the blocks were made different.and the supercoupe made 12 lbs of boost stock.
You mean it can work right. It is the same motor aside from being forged and a few other differences.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:01 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

well i would find a whole donor car like stated but the blocks have different mounting holes and such.im not really sure but i do know they are not the same,and they have sc stamped in the block
Old 10-23-2009, 02:38 PM
audiofrek19
1st Gear Member

im actually doing the swap right now of a 91 sc motor into a 97 mustang. im doing the whole motor cause the sc had forged interals so they stronger. i bought a donor car for 400 bucks. you will not use the sc computer you just need to get a tuner from vmptuning.com they guy justin aparently does wonders with tunes for these swaps. you will also need a 94-95 harmonic balancer if not using a 94-95 motor. you can find more info on the swap on v6power.net
Old 11-05-2009, 11:57 AM
bobby7821

Smile update to my post

i just scored on a supercoupe set up .I got every thing off the motor exept the block itself the junk yard wouldn,t sell me the whole motor so i stripped it down to just the bare block .I'm in the proses of striping and polishing the hole set up the tubes for the inter cooler, alt,ac compresior,the hole deal every thing is in real good shape . I would like to have the supercharger rebuilt though .I will post some pics to my albums soon
Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Sweet good find.

Matthew
Old 09-23-2010, 10:56 AM
scstang1996

Default sc swap questions

Originally Posted by audiofrek19
im actually doing the swap right now of a 91 sc motor into a 97 mustang. im doing the whole motor cause the sc had forged interals so they stronger. i bought a donor car for 400 bucks. you will not use the sc computer you just need to get a tuner from vmptuning.com they guy justin aparently does wonders with tunes for these swaps. you will also need a 94-95 harmonic balancer if not using a 94-95 motor. you can find more info on the swap on v6power.net
I am new to this site and i would like to have info on doin the sc swap into my 96 v6 stang ,,, i need to know all what i have to do if i swap in the whole dressed engine out of a 1991 super coupe,,, do i need the wiring , do i need the computer , do i need the rad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, What do i need ,,,,,, someone help plz,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quick Reply: super coupe to 95 mustang swap