V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

OBD2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:25 AM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
Has anyone actually seen this? Is there any actual proof of this out there like a ref guide on repair or tuning?

The ONLY 1995 that I know of that has OBDII is that 95' Cobra (R) test mule that had all the 96' Cobra updates including a DOHC 4.6L and OBDII ECU. Its in both MM&FF and 5.0 this month but listed as a Jan 10' issue.

I'd like to know more about this so you guys better start posting some links now so I can add it to my Mustang knowledge database of bookmarks!
There are 1995's that are OBD II. I know GM has made some. I've worked on a few Cadillacs (D'Ellegance I think) and some Buicks were OBD II in '95. I'm sure there are a handfull of others. But like I said, 1996 is when all cars HAD to be OBD II.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:01 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Xemeth I KNOW WHEN IT WAS MADE MANDATORY!

I have just never seen any regular production 95' Mustang that had OBDII. I am not telling you that they DO NOT exist, but in my experiance I have never seen one.

I want to see proof, I want to see what the ECU code is, I want to see what trim and options it has. Also like I said, the 94/95 has a OBD port that is exactly the same shape and in the same place as the 96+ OBDII's so if you THINK that you saw one and think it is OBDII just because of where it is and the shape then you should check again because that does NOT mean that it is an OBDII.

Plus I dont know how you guys are seeing this if your not getting down there with a tuner and plugging it in and seeing that it is not working or talking to the owner directly. The car doesnt simply scream "IM OBDII ****!@#!!%#" so how do you know, how have you seen it?

Yes I am getting short tempered right now BUT DAMNIT I WANT HARD PROOF!! >.<
Like I said, for my knowledge base :P

Also none of my 95' and 94-04 repair manuals ref anything about OBDII in 1995, Nothing.

All I am asking is a link or a book ref, thats all, otherwise as Mythbusters says, "Plausible" not confirmed or busted.

-Eric-
Old 11-28-2009, 05:05 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Also we arent talking about other cars that had OBDII in 95', we are talking about 95' Mustangs. Lets not broaded it just to try to be half right. I know that technique, I'VE DONE IT! XD~
Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Xemeth I KNOW WHEN IT WAS MADE MANDATORY!

I have just never seen any regular production 95' Mustang that had OBDII. I am not telling you that they DO NOT exist, but in my experiance I have never seen one.

I want to see proof, I want to see what the ECU code is, I want to see what trim and options it has. Also like I said, the 94/95 has a OBD port that is exactly the same shape and in the same place as the 96+ OBDII's so if you THINK that you saw one and think it is OBDII just because of where it is and the shape then you should check again because that does NOT mean that it is an OBDII.

Plus I dont know how you guys are seeing this if your not getting down there with a tuner and plugging it in and seeing that it is not working or talking to the owner directly. The car doesnt simply scream "IM OBDII ****!@#!!%#" so how do you know, how have you seen it?

Yes I am getting short tempered right now BUT DAMNIT I WANT HARD PROOF!! >.<
Like I said, for my knowledge base :P

Also none of my 95' and 94-04 repair manuals ref anything about OBDII in 1995, Nothing.

All I am asking is a link or a book ref, thats all, otherwise as Mythbusters says, "Plausible" not confirmed or busted.

-Eric-
GM has two scanners, Tech 1 and Tech 2 (for OBD I and II). When I got in the car and hooked up the OBD I scanner, it gave me an error message. When I used the Tech 2, it worked fine. Then I asked my service manager when they switched to OBD II, and he said it was starting to be used in 1995 model cars.

Also we arent talking about other cars that had OBDII in 95', we are talking about 95' Mustangs. Lets not broaded it just to try to be half right. I know that technique, I'VE DONE IT! XD~
I'm fully aware that I'm not talking about Mustangs. I'm not sure if Mustangs ever used OBD II in '95. I never worked on a '95 Mustang, so I couldn't tell you, and unlike a good portion of this forum, I don't just splurt out things that I "think" I know, although God knows I could easily get away with it here.

I brought up that some cars were OBD II in '95 because I beleive Fink said that some were, and then you said you have never heard of it. So I mentioned that some cars were compatible with it.

I did a quick google search and found this:

http://www.obd2allinone.com/

Two paragraphs under the picture of the connector. It's not VIN's or ECM codes like you wanted, but it is a company stating that there are cars before 1996 that were OBD II and their scanner will work fine on it.

Actually, it says 1994-1995, which I did not know about '94.

Now that you've made a big ordeal over a comment and you've been corrected, are you ready to drop it?
Old 11-28-2009, 04:00 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Ok, I was trying to be kinda nice and funny about it but you just aren't getting it.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT OTHER CARS AND NEVER WAS TALKING ABOUT THEM!

And why the hell is there a Direct link to THIS EXACT thread at the very bottom of the page you posted? Makes me think that you have something to do with that page. Why else would there be an exact link? Google Search my ***!

Your starting to sound like a n00b idiot that doesn't want to lose (Yeah, I know you have a lot of posts, doesn't matter,) but you just said yourself that you have never seen a 94/95 Mustang with OBDII or worked on it.

So how about you drop it and leave it at that unless you can give me a LINK (That your not involved with) or BOOK REF that states DIRECTLY that a certain number of 1995 Mustangs had OBDII, because it sure as hell wont be random, it will be a string of serial numbers because why the hell would Ford pick and choose to randomly screw up the Assy line by changing to OBDII and all the sensors that go with it on the engine, trans, brake system, fuel system - EVERYTHING.

Remember I have a 95 and a 96, I work on both a LOT and I know that the systems are NOT interchangeable without some modification and sensor replacement.

I just wanted proof that they exist so I could add it to all my other Mustang info. I am simply saying that I have NEVER seen it, I am not saying it doesn't exist at all but in my personal experience I have never seen or heard of it.

Your website also states that even though it is a 94/95 GM OBDII connection, it is an OBDI system behind it. Hmmm, wouldn't you think that explains the 94/95 Mustang for having the same port but still running OBDI?

Originally Posted by shady looking website;
your 1996 or newer car is OBD II compliant (or European OBD, EOBD, or Japan OBD, JODB) you will see the above style 16 pin connector, called a J1962 connector. Some 1994-95 GM cars have the 16 pin OBD 2 connector shown above (Corvette's, Camaro's, and LT1 cars among them), however, even though it is an OBD-II connector, it has an OBD1 system behind it on these 94-95 cars. If you have a 94 or 95 GM car with the 16 pin connector, we sell 16 pin connector diagnostic cables for it here.
If you keep talking about anything other than 95' Mustang with OBDII I am going to ignore it, because that is not we are talking about, I dont care about the 94/95 Camaro's, Corvettes and other LT1 cars that came with OBDII connectors with an OBDI system behind it, which by the way supports my experiences more than yours.

Here is a screen shot of the website so that you cant edit it and say it was never there.

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 11-28-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 AM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Uh-oh, you caught me. I went and registerd a domain name, made a full fledged website, and stuck that link on the bottom, just to win an argument on the internet with a stranger. And I would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

I never even scrolled to the bottom of the page, but when I clicked on it, but I just tried it again, and it showed me a google search URL. So I don't know what the hell is up with your screenshot. I'm not saying you edited it, but I didn't get a link to this page. And even if I did have something to do with that site, why on earth would I put that link there. That'd be like murdering someone and leaving your name, address, and telephone number on their body.

We're obviously arguing two different things, which I tried saying before, but you must have missed it. I was stating in regards to all vehicles made in 1995. Not JUST Mustangs. I actually read the thread when there were no replies, and didn't reply since I didn't know if his MUSTANG was OBD II or not. Then I replied to you after you said you've never seen a 1995 OBD II car, which was directly after Fink's post saying some 1995 cars were OBD II. Never in any of my posts did I say Mustang.

You're obviously not getting that. My first post in this thread was that there were '95's with OBD II. Never did I mention a Mustang having it. Then you got sand in your vagina for what reason I don't know. But this is becoming a pretty rediculous arguement if we're gonna be talking about different things.

And with the 94/95 connectors being OBD II style but and OBD I system, I know for a fact that it was OBD II since the Tech 1 did not work on them. Then I plug in the Tech 2 and voila, everything was fine and dandy.

I'd get you a link to the service information for the cars that it was, but the GM SI site doesn't list service manuals online for cars that old, just TSB's. I'm probably not gonna find anything about the OBD II 94/95 Mustang, since I'm not sure if one exists. It probably doesn't. There, does that satisfy your hunger for winning an argument that I wasn't arguing? Since I never did dissagree with you on that point.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:15 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

There you go saying the same old crap; no proof, I dont care.

PM when you get proof.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:21 AM
RavenSword

According to the Chilton 1994-04 Ford Mustang Repair Manual, it states the 94-95 Mustang V6 3.8L are EEC-V and OBDII, the 94-95 Mustang 5.0 are EEC-IV OBDI. All 1996 and newer are also OBDII.

Chapter 5-3 Electrical System, bottom right corner in the black bolded *Note:
Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 AM
compdude97
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RavenSword
According to the Chilton 1994-04 Ford Mustang Repair Manual, it states the 94-95 Mustang V6 3.8L are EEC-V and OBDII, the 94-95 Mustang 5.0 are EEC-IV OBDI. All 1996 and newer are also OBDII.

Chapter 5-3 Electrical System, bottom right corner in the black bolded *Note:
Gee Tokyo, don't you feel like an ******* now.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I have proof - "and God said let there be a picture from under the hood of a 1995 Ford Mustang, 3.8 that shows it is OBD II. And it was posted, and it was good."

Matthew