V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Was this a bad idea for my mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 PM
highlander140

Default Was this a bad idea for my mustang?

I have a 1996 V6-3.8 Liter Regular Coupe Mustang, with about 104K miles on it. I bought it with about 96K miles and did an oil change when I bought it from the auction.

Since then I've been meaning to do an oil change till today when I did one. I ended up putting 4-Quarts of Synthetic Oil (10-20 or 10-30 I forgot which one) And 1Quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer (non-Syn). I know hear that putting sync on old engines isnt a good idea.

The car doesnt have an engine leak except in the timing belt I believe where there is a crack ( I plan on fixing it in 1-2 months time).

Before the temperature dial in my car read almost "0" or real cold/low. It NEVER went to medium on the dial, I think its cause I took 8K miles to change the black oil in it.

But now for the FIRST time since I've had the car right after the oil change, the car heats ups to unbelieavable level. It reached medium on the temperature dial, fluctuated a bit between medium and mid-low. I also felt a bit of more HP in it when I accelerated?

Is this due to the syn, and is this good mechanically in the long run? What should I do?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 PM
rfcsoulja
2nd Gear Member

It could just be the fresh oil. Synthetic isn't going to increase horsepower. If anything, new oil would make your car run cooler than it would hotter as old broken down oil doesn't lubricate as well and friction=heat .
Old 02-10-2010, 04:59 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

The idiot guage (Not you, its a general ref) is suppose to read right in the middle pretty much.
Its when it starts going higher that you should pay attention.

You can purchase a temp guage that will tell you the temp instead of on a series of dotted lines or in pre 99' stangs, MEDIUM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:33 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The more power feeling is because it is more power. Oil breaks down and sludges up over time and the crank has to turn thru that, new oil is thinner and easier for the crank to turn thru thus robbing less power, and synth oil is even thinner than conventional oil. Think of you trying to run thru mud as opposed to clean water, which is easier?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:51 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

The temp is water temp, as long as it doesn't go high, don't be worried. Puting synthetic in your car is just a big waste of money, just run the cheap $2 a quart motorcraft 5w20 and a motorcraft filter. Go ahead and replace the plugs and wires, thermostat, coolant flush, seafoam the intake, and the internals, make sure the belt is good, change your fuel and air filters. It's also a good idea to get under the car and look at all the bushings and linkages and make sure everything is in good shape.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:14 AM
box_2690
1st Gear Member

Seafoam really works?
Im scared i'll mess something up...
Old 02-10-2010, 09:23 AM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

I use it, been using it for years, on all kinds of different cars, even my rx7 before it was stolen. I've never had an issue. I actually use half a can through the intake, then about 8oz of water, then the other half and finish off with 8oz more water. It works extremely well, even though it looks like your car is on fire with all the smoke coming out the first time you do it. My wife's car has about 50k miles, and we're about to replace it with a new one, but I noticed it was sluggish, so I seafoamed it and it has more pickup and makes merging onto the interstate much easier, also boosted the gas mileage.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Really Ryan, water? Never heard that before.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:45 AM
brent4
4th Gear Member

^^ that's new to me.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

water turns to steam, in the cylinders, similar to water/meth, but your using very little water. It helps break down that solid carbon buildup, but running the seafoam first prevents the steam from breaking of big chunks and causing problems.

Quick Reply: Was this a bad idea for my mustang?