V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Wow, our factory headers crack like crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

Default Wow, our factory headers crack like crazy!

I discovered my "exhaust leak" last week, and when i removed the exhaust manifold, this is what happened:

I didnt even yank on it, it was completely cracked around that lower flange. For those who dont know, those two pieces are welded together from the factory. All but two flanges were cracked on my manifolds. So instead of wasting money on shorty headers or buying used headers from a junk yard and having them crack down the road.....I welded mine.

If anybody here has cracked factory manifolds, let me know. I might go into the business of welding these things back to together.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:51 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I got a cracked set, cracked around the weld just like yours.

I havnt taken them off the 01' yet because I haven't dropped the motor from the 96' yet.

Once I get the motor out I will take my shorties and BBK O/R x-pipe and put them on the 01'.

The ol' A/C drip excuse is mute now that these things are 6-11 years old and cracking all over.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

supposed to be from getting hot and then cooling off too quickly, like drag racing or autocross. So thats almost definitely what mine cracked from. Thankfully they are made of steel and not cast iron, so they can be fixed.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:40 PM
neo8222
4th Gear Member

it's because the steel they used was to thin. mine keep cracking between the middle and the back header pipes i've welded mine several times but it just keeps migrating. weld one crack, new one forms right next to the old one.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

The steel thickness isn't the problem. I think it's the thickness of the weld itself. Look at where they crack, just at the flanges. The heavier welds connecting the different pieces of tubing dont crack, they hold together, but the tiny welds on the flanges break.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:54 AM
99'PEGASV6
3rd Gear Member

i know my headers are starting to crack or are already cracked cause i am hearing the infamous ticking noise where are you located?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Clif Brohn
I discovered my "exhaust leak" last week, and when i removed the exhaust manifold, this is what happened:

I didnt even yank on it, it was completely cracked around that lower flange. For those who dont know, those two pieces are welded together from the factory. All but two flanges were cracked on my manifolds. So instead of wasting money on shorty headers or buying used headers from a junk yard and having them crack down the road.....I welded mine.

That same thing happened to me... while I was driving! The passenger side manifold cracked and the pipe was hanging when I got to work. Scared the living **** out of me when it happened. Was running one side open headers and one side with my thrush muffler, lol.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Well you can just get a pair of the super dupper 1994-98 headers that dont crack and then you dont have to worry about it ....

Matthew
Old 04-12-2010, 02:22 PM
inukiller5
1st Gear Member

i think thats what just happened to mine! ive had a bad ticking sound for a while.. but i wasnt too concerned about it... now the dang thing sounds like a pissed off weedeator... thats probably what happened to mine
Old 04-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

I live in Meridian Idaho

^Thats exactly what happened with me. I thought my high flow cats were letting out weird sounds until one day it just got really loud. Checked it out and sure enough, destroyed manifolds

Quick Reply: Wow, our factory headers crack like crazy!