V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Drift setup?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Leshrac

Default Drift setup?

Im looking to get my stang drifting. Right now doing research on 8.8 rear end with posi diff. 31spline with 3.73 gears. The only other mods to my car right now is short ram intake, divorced 2.5 duals, spec stage 1 clutch, steeda tri-ax shifter. Any suggestions on suspension, as far as all around coil overs, or is stock set up good for my power output? Should I even go with the 8.8 now or build one up, get a lsd and 3.73's for the 7.5 and wait for it to fail as I add more power, then put the 8.8 on? I have a somewhat limited budget as I want to get this done before gratiot in August. I could prob get 2k ish by that time. Oh its my daily driver too so I dont want the ride to be too uncomfortable.
edit
Ill be doing all the work myself so price just for parts. and yes it is a 5 spd. would the sct livewire tuner(I will eventually have forced induction) also be able to compensate for the gear change or would I still need a speedcal...noobish question I know...

Last edited by Leshrac; 04-26-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Leshrac
Im looking to get my stang drifting. Right now doing research on 8.8 rear end with posi diff. 31spline with 3.73 gears. The only other mods to my car right now is short ram intake, divorced 2.5 duals, spec stage 1 clutch, steeda tri-ax shifter. Any suggestions on suspension, as far as all around coil overs, or is stock set up good for my power output? Should I even go with the 8.8 now or build one up, get a lsd and 3.73's for the 7.5 and wait for it to fail as I add more power, then put the 8.8 on? I have a somewhat limited budget as I want to get this done before gratiot in August. I could prob get 2k ish by that time. Oh its my daily driver too so I dont want the ride to be too uncomfortable.
stock 7.5<stock 8.8<built 7.5< Built 8.8 Just something to consider. I feel like high revving motors are better for drifting, no? Can't help with the suspension.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

leave the 7.5" wheel speed is fairly important in drifting, the 7.5 has less rotating mass than the 8.8 and you need all the help you can get because our engines dont really rev. Mine revs to 6,000 because of the re-flash, I would reccomend that as well.

This is how I would do it:
manual transmission only.
TruTrac LSD with 3.55 or higher gear ratio
Exhaust/intake/tuner
coilovers
lca's with poly bushings
thinner, hard tires on the factory 16x7's

^This is the very minimum of what I think it would take to get one of our cars to drift. That being said, I dont think we have enough horsepower to keep a legit "drift" going, or enough RPM's to keep a legit "drift" going. Just my .02
Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

That would be soo much fun to tool around with. I feel like it'd be much easier on a 5 speed no?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shaunmac9128
That would be soo much fun to tool around with. I feel like it'd be much easier on a 5 speed no?
You would need a manual car for clutch bumps. Mid drift, stab the clutch pedal with the gas pedal at a steady point. Jolts the car, keeps it going sideways. Thats how a lot of streetcars do it, the D1 cars are basically in a state of controlled power-oversteer
Old 04-26-2010, 11:06 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Originally Posted by Shaunmac9128
stock 7.5<stock 8.8<built 7.5< Built 8.8 Just something to consider. I feel like high revving motors are better for drifting, no? Can't help with the suspension.
not always- a 81 el camino with a stock 305 kicked the asses of a bunch of 240's and other 'drift' cars a few years back. ended up going to the higher up competitions in that elco. first run was with stock suspension, tires, etc

Originally Posted by Clif Brohn
^This is the very minimum of what I think it would take to get one of our cars to drift. That being said, I dont think we have enough horsepower to keep a legit "drift" going, or enough RPM's to keep a legit "drift" going. Just my .02
I have seen it done, I will try to find a video...
Old 04-27-2010, 03:54 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

You will have more control, more stability and a smoother drift with a built IRS and 125lbs less unsprung weight over an 8.8".

Kenny Brown makes an AWESOME tubular upper and lower control arm kit and coil over conversion.

A fully built 01' or 03/04 Cobra IRS with Bruce's Full Tilt boogie racing bushings, MM Brace, Diff cover Brace, KB Tubular arms, KB Steer kit, coil over conversion, MM Bracket braces, Polished Pro 5.0 drilled pinion and back-cut gears, 03/04 half shafts (01's will be fine but not as strong) and diff rebuild will kick an 8.8"s butt.

I probably forgot somethings but still you can sink several grand into that build not including the IRS.

As far as the front goes you cant go with all MM stuff up there.

Chassis stiffening; Kenny Brown Extreme Matrix kit, rear shock tower brace and Roll Cage will do you well.

Good stuff but lots of cash.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Leshrac

thx for yalls suggestions...looks like I have some fun projects ahead! Cant wait to wake my baby up and let her have fun again, the chains of daily driving will be cut this summer.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

what are your plans for power?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Leshrac

First sct livewire tuner, seeing as I havnt even tuned it yet for the intake and exhaust
Second Aluminum flywheel
then SSM stage 2+ power pack
Forged internals...havnt done enough research to decide exactly what setup to go with
finally turbo or supercharger, once again need to do more research, though I love the thought of a turbo.
urethane motor mounts somewhere in there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drift setup?