V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

engine additives to get better MPG & performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:23 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Default engine additives to get better MPG & performance

So Ive done everything in the book to improve my gas mileage

So far
-alignment / tire balance
-tire pressure
-new fuel filter
-new air filter
-brand new OEM plugs
-used good fuel

So im thinking since ive got quite a few miles on the stang that maybe the fuel injectors are just all plugged up or something?

I remember my auto tech teacher saying to more or less avoid engine additives. But is there a decent one out there that will adequately clean my fuel injectors? I remember my auto tech teacher basically saying people are ****in idiots for putting seafoam in a already working engine, and that it was originally made for marine use to use in engines that haven't been started in years and have been neglected. So ill probably avoid seafoam unless it can be proven to benefit my engine.

So iv'e been more biased to basically avoid additives, but if they will prove more benefit than harm id be willing to give it a shot. Any recommendations or advice?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:47 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

how bad is your mileage? You could always take it easier on the accelerator and get rid of the 4.10's. That gear will not help your mileage. Additives wont do anything, if your injectors were plugged up you would have a miss.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:42 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Well i drove the car with the stock gears for about a month after i got it and then switched, i really haven't noticed much of a difference.

But ill try to break down my driving style at best,
i shift around 2-2500 normally,
no ac
85 octane
75% city driving, but the speed limit out here is 45, so im always cruising up to around 50mph for a decent stretch of road until i get to a light. Im not in like gridlock stop and go conditions by any means.

Well actually i did the math. im getting 230mi on 11.53 gallons burnt. So thats almost all the way to E. But isn't that 20mpg? gah. It just feels like im getting worse fuel consumption. IDK. I still think the injectors need cleaning. Ocassionally like 2 times a month the car will just idle all weird for 2-5 seconds and resume normal. No codes, but figured it just injectors since the car seems to kind of bog down under heavy acceleration.

What would you guys recommend for fuel injector cleaning additive? or are they just gimmicks like most other additives. Ive actually heard that some additives like Zmax actually cause twice as much bearing corrosion than regular oil and reduce performance and engine life.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:58 PM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

No one here has used a fuel injector cleaning additive? I just want to know if it actually works and is worth the cause or if its junk like most other stuff.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

I used one back in 86 lol. But I am also curious now. My engine has nearly 140k on it and I'm sure it could use some cleaning. I've been considering some Gumout but same as you I have no idea what to use.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Put it this way, I use it religiously on my 5.0. When I first pulled my 5.0 apart the motor had over 125,000 miles on it (yes even the fuel injectors), however when I pulled the injectors the spray nozzels were clean as could be, no build up or blockage on any of them. I bought my 5.0 with 95,000 miles on it, and used fuel injector cleaner in the motor approx 10 times before I tore it apart (about every oil change). Now when I put it back together, ran it for about 15,000 miles and tore it back apart (I did not use injector cleaner during this time), I noticed a small amount of build up on a couple of injectors (which were brand new 30lb injectors). So since I put it back together I've started on the additives again, only done one treatment, but I'd have to say, I'm seen evidence, that at least Slick 50 works.

Also, no sludge in the cylinder walls, however I did have to clean off some carbon build up off the tops of the pistons, so Slick 50 doesn't help with that too much. Sea foam, however, does.

Last edited by jthorn9; 06-30-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Put half a can of seafoam into the gas tank and the other half into the oil. Go ahead and change the oil at the normal interval. You can also run a can through the intake, but try to get it in before the TB.

Auto shop teachers aren't usually experts in anything, but I've used it and recommended it to a ton of people without any issues.

When I pulled my heads, I was shocked and amazed at how clean the engine was, and there was no sludge at all. Now if you think you have some sludge, then only run the seafoam for about 500 miles and then change the oil and filter.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:32 AM
itsdaveonline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RyansQuick6
Put half a can of seafoam into the gas tank and the other half into the oil. Go ahead and change the oil at the normal interval. You can also run a can through the intake, but try to get it in before the TB.

Will seafoam aid in cleaning my injectors? Im really not to sold on the idea of seafoam. If i did put seafoam into my tank do i do it when its full, empty or what? I dont want my car smoking like crazy for 230 mi...
Old 07-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

If only smokes when you put it straight in the intake. Put half a can in a pretty much full gas tank, it is supposed to clean out injectors and other stuff along the way.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Boost Logic
Banned

Honestly i used to work @ mr lube and we constantly sold useless
additives and cleaning services that did nothing. If you seriously
wanna save on fuel, you should start looking at making the car lighter,
from lighter drivershafts and flywheels, to pulling the rear seats out and so on.

Quick Reply: engine additives to get better MPG & performance