V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Weird problem with rocker?rod?spring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:22 AM
97camastang03

Default Weird problem with rocker?rod?spring?

I have an 03 v6. lately on cold starts I will get a loud ticking sound from my driver side valve cover. My air/fuel gauge goes nuts and its make the idol rough. I noticed it was coming from the first rocker. So me an a buddy took the cover off, unbolted the rod,rocker an all and it wasnt chipped, the rod was perfectly streight and oil flowed fine. so we cleaned everything up a little. waited till it was cold and started it an it was fine. Now a week later its doing it again! I check out youtube and it said if ur engine was made before 01 they had recalls for a problem that sounded like mine? anyway, any feedback would be cool, help me understand what might be going on before I take it to a shop.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Boost Logic
Banned

Valve lash?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:40 AM
97camastang03

Im crossing my fingers its not somthing with the valve. Im going to try to post a youtube video of it tom. I think I might try engine cleaner as a last resort before I take my heads off or bring it to a shop. Some people said it sounds like the infamous exhaust leak but its def a tick tick tick sound.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:58 AM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

i say its the exhaust leak
Old 07-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Brian68
1st Gear Member

I've also been having issues with a ticking sound coming from the drivers side valve cover (area). Some have told me it's a lifter/valve (or something around there) issue and others have told me it's the exhaust. It doesn't happen all the time just mainly when it's cold. As it warms up it's less or gone all together. It gets worse when I accelerate. To me it sounds like an exhause issue, but I have no idea. Almost sounds like its coming from the connection at the back of the header. Also I was told to take off the oil cap and if the sound was louder then it was something with the heads and if not it was something else. Is that true? because when I did this it sounded the same to me.

Brian
Old 07-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Sounds like the notorious exhaust leak that most, if not all, Edges get from a crack in the exhaust manifold. This is caused from condensation from the A/C leaking onto the exhaust manifold causing it to crack over time. You only hear it when its cold because once the manifold gets hot the metal expands and seals up the crack.

Matthew
Old 07-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

My passenger side header has already FALLEN OFF where it was welded at the flange, and I'm getting a similar problem to what you're describing now. It goes away if the car has idled for about 2 minutes, if this one breaks it's time for long tubes.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:46 PM
97camastang03

I dont think its an exhaust leak bc the sound went away compleatly for a whole week of cold starts. And yes when i opened up the oil cap the sound was louder and thats when i knew it was coming from the first rocker. when I took my cover off an rod.rocker.and spring off I also took off the next 3 just to make sure and they all looked the same. The tick sound goes faster as i push on the gas too. I will get a video up on youtube and post the url on this form later on when my car is cool.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Brian68
1st Gear Member

Ok...Here's a clip of the sound I'm hearing. It's not that bad this morning. Normally it's alot louder. Take a listen and tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rO_5s39eFI

I'm not able to attach a video so above is the web address to it on youtube or you can search "BTC68" and find it.

Thanks again

Brian

Brian
Old 07-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Brian68
1st Gear Member

I guess I am able to attach video...cool.

One more thing. The noise gets worse when the engine is under load and I give it gas.

Thanks again

Brian

Quick Reply: Weird problem with rocker?rod?spring?