V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Mach1anyone?

Default QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS!

I have a 1995 3.8 i just rebuilt the motor including new cam, cam bearings, main bearings, lifters, all gaskets, cut the vavlve seats, just a basic rebuild nothing performance wise. Now im starting to think this was a bad idea and i should have went for some performance upgrades.
What are the best performance mods for the 3.8? (bolt on's, weekend projects, anything)
What would be the best Turbo Kit for a near stock 3.8?
If turbo'd, would bigger gears or an 8.8 swap be recomended?
Best Suspension upgrade kits out there for the 3.8?
Headers/Exhaust?
Fuel delivery, lines, rail, injectors?

Thank you if you got this far. This was my first car and id like to keep it in the family. Any help you can offer in this build is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:54 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

No longer any turbo kits for the 3.8L made. Sometimes you can find used set ups floating around. The ONLY kind I would buy is from Andy at TMA Turbo.

8.8 is good if you can find one. With a power adder, I'd stay stock or around 3.55 for gearing.

Without a power adder, heads/cam/intake is the best way to open up the motor and let it breathe.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Mach1anyone?

i was just looking at the TMA street strip kit. looks legit. so without adding anything but what that kit comes with would i be able to run completly stock?
im going to change the gears probably and get an aluminum driveshaft.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Go to Supersixmotorsports.com and look at what they have to offer. I have their stage 2 ported and polished heads and intakes and have had no problems at all. Tom is the man when it comes to 3.8 mods....

Matthew
Old 07-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Mach1anyone?

Ok thanks. For exhaust...i was looking at a MAC H-pipe and true dual exhaust. This might be a stupid question but if i went with the H-pipe would i have to run without cats? Do you think MAC is a good exhaust to go with?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:07 PM
amsspartan

You need the cats to pass emissions inspection unless you know someone that can get you a sticker. It doesn't make much sense to go with an h pipe if you are going with a dual exhaust. You might as well go with an x but it makes the sound a little higher pitched. And get an offroad x that deletes the cats and then get the sensors bipassed. That's my plan but I got a gt and putting some long tube headers on at that same time.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 AM
compdude97
2nd Gear Member

An H-Pipe is nearly pointless on the V-6, you can go with Divorced Duals for the best sounds or if you get a quality X-pipe you will gain maybe 4HP over the Divorced, but you will get a more raspy sound.

Matt, Supersix's website seems to be down, any idea why?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Mach1anyone?

yea i was considering doing divorced duals i was just curious for sound pusposes. So in your opinion who makes the loudest divorced dual system? I like a deep tone that can clearly be heard at idle and will wake up the neighbors when i get home.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 PM
ayrton02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach1anyone?
yea i was considering doing divorced duals i was just curious for sound pusposes. So in your opinion who makes the loudest divorced dual system? I like a deep tone that can clearly be heard at idle and will wake up the neighbors when i get home.

A h-pipe or divorced duals would be good. Then longtube headers. Then a chambered muffler... pretty much Flowmaster 40, Super 40, 44, or Thrush mufflers that they sell on summitracing's site.

Here's an idea what that'll sound like...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tFl...eature=related

And a super loud v6 is never gonna sound good. It'll either sound like a ****ty tractor or a riced out piece of schit. So skip the strait-thru mufflers and cutout ideas altogether.

So if you are looking for this ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HaKGg8Txo0
...it ain't happening.

Last edited by ayrton02; 07-29-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Mach1anyone?

no i dont need it that loud so you have the long tube headers and the h-pipe do you have cats? i just want something with a deep tone.

Quick Reply: QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS!