V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

engine Compatibility for 96 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Isaacs_eye

Default engine Compatibility for 96 mustang

My engine blew on my 3.8L 96 mustang and I need a replacement. One of my friends mechanic has a 3.8L engine available but it's from a newer model mustang. Would this be completely compatible or do I need to make modifications. He told me that the intake gasket doesn't fit. To be honest I just need to fix this As soon as possible and I need this to be reliable since this is my daily driver. Thank very much in advance
Old 08-04-2010, 04:52 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

A splitport swap? 99-04?

Whelp its a great idea.
You will have more power and a more reliable engine.

Lemme try to remember everything that went into my 96's splitport swap.

1.) You will need the wiring harness from the engine on the new engine, if its not there then go grab the correct year for it.
2.) Splice all the plugs from the 99-04 harness over to the 96' harness except the DIS plug and fuel injector plugs. Make wire extensions where needed.
3.) Buy EV6 to EV1 fuel injector plug adapters.
4.) Replace the DIS from your 96' into the 99+ motor, make sure to mark the angle of the DIS to line up the new one with, refer to your shop manual for timing specs and how to.
5.) Buy a windstar fuel rail or buy a pre modified 99-04 mustang fuel rail modified for a return style fuel system. If you buy a windstar fuel rail you will have to clearance the lower drivers side front plenum on the upper intake manifold to clear the edge of the FPR on the fuel rail.
6.) If you have a 99-00 motor you will need to drill and tap a 2nd location on the lower intake manifold near the fuel rails FPR (There is a bung there for it) for the 2nd temp sending unit.
7.)If an 01-04 motor you will need to replace the lower intake manifold with a 99-00 non-IMRC intake manifold. The second temp sending unit should be on the rear of the passenger side head.
8.) Re-use the stock 96' tubular headers as they are better than the 99-04 logs.
9.) Contact VMP tuning for a SCT Tuner and custom tune from Justin.
10.) ENJOY!

I think thats pertty much it, its almost 5am so I may have forgotten something.

-Eric-
Old 08-04-2010, 05:02 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Oh, really you should think about upgrading your fuel pump too.

The stock injectors on the 94-98 are 14lbs injectors and the 99-04 are 21lb injectors.
You are also going from 150hp to 190-193hp so its a big bump.
Mine made a lot more due to my mods, I was right around 230-240hp at the motor and really taxed the stock pump.

I didnt upgrade mine and it whined a lot and cut out sometimes and a few times even died. I had to wait while it cooled down.
A 255lph will be more than enough.

also btw, the MAF is suppose to be the same till 00', in 01' the IAT was place in the MAF as well. You will be able to re-use your old MAF but you will need a 99-00' intake tube or CAI.

Also be sure that you have the matching flywheel and dampener, ballancing changed mid 00'.

Motor mounts are the same and it bolts up to the trans the same.

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 08-04-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:07 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Oh, also if this engine doesnt have any accessories on the front of it you can swap all of yours over and the brackets on yours over to it. Thats what I did as my motor did not have the accessories on it.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Isaacs_eye

thanks for the response. Looks like I have some work to do. I'll let you know how it turns out
Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

All that and all you give me back is 1 sentece?

That sucks.

At least get back to us on what year your dealing with and if you have any other questions and so on.
We want to keep you hooked and coming back for more!

Do you have any performance questions like home P&P how to and what bolt ons are good or cams and so on or where to get other V6 performance parts?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:50 PM
jpacetti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Isaacs_eye
My engine blew on my 3.8L 96 mustang and I need a replacement. One of my friends mechanic has a 3.8L engine available but it's from a newer model mustang. Would this be completely compatible or do I need to make modifications. He told me that the intake gasket doesn't fit. To be honest I just need to fix this As soon as possible and I need this to be reliable since this is my daily driver. Thank very much in advance
I went down the same road your on. I looked into buying a used 3.8, doing the swap to a split-port 3.8, and getting a remanufactured 3.8. By the time everything was said and done it was going to cost me more than a GT conversion package that I got from MPS Auto Salvage. This package included everything I needed to change my mustang into a GT with the exception of the rear end. All for about $2000. Between the mods, the wiring, and the headaches of getting everything together, staying with a V6 was much harder. Everything for the V8 was just remove and install. I'm not saying that it isn't alot of work... but it's worth looking into if you can manage to do it. It took me 7 days and I love the gains! Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:37 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

And yet my 96' splitport swap that I have about $1500 into would spank the poop out of your Non-PI GT conversion. btw mine is far far from stock and that was included in the swap cost.

Splitport swap 190hp
Non-PI GT swap 215hp

btw not bashing your swap, its dollar for dollar, horsepower and weight mine came out to about 235-245hp at the engine.

Of course all you need is a PI swap and you toast mine and your only a few hundred away from that so alls fair as far as that goes.

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 08-06-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 AM
crysalis_01
Banned!

If he's doing a swap anyway, he might as well get the easiest and most bang for his buck. Look for a '97-'01 . . . '98 preferred. . . 4.2L out of an F-150. Swap on the upper from VAP, and have the IMRC's deleted from the lower.

Standard split-port swap is good for 190bhp and like 220 ft.lbs. of torque.
While the 4.2L even in stock form is 210bhp and 255 ft.lbs. of torque.

I don't know if he'd see the same gains from the VAP intake seeing as the F-150's it's very similar, save for material and height, to the one that comes on the 4.2 but it would at least take care of the height issue.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Isaacs_eye

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
All that and all you give me back is 1 sentece?

That sucks.

At least get back to us on what year your dealing with and if you have any other questions and so on.
We want to keep you hooked and coming back for more!

Do you have any performance questions like home P&P how to and what bolt ons are good or cams and so on or where to get other V6 performance parts?
Sorry. What I meant to say was I bow to your superior knowledge of the great Mustang oh master. lol. But really, really I appreciate your help. I am using my friend's car right now, while i get the money, so I haven't gotten started yet. What's the best online place for performance parts? From what I hear everything is cheaper online. or any good shops around fresno?

Quick Reply: engine Compatibility for 96 mustang