V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

best way to stay safe during winter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:45 PM
08Steeda
3rd Gear Member

I had a Explorer and loved it. My wife had 2 of them too. They are pretty solid in the snow. Drove through a blizzard in upper Michigan when it was dropping like 6 inches an hour at one point and got like 3 feet of snow in 1 1/2 days. Did over 100 miles.

Never had a worry.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the review, good to know.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:37 PM
DJ TROLL

i would love to get a jeep or subaru for the winter but my problem is that im 18, working a full time job at 10 an hour and i still have to pay off this mustang and insurance, and anything else i might need. i simply do not have enough money to get another vehicle.

but i will try to save every penny and hopefully by november i can get another vehicle.

but thanks for the tips. if theres anything else please let me know
Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

Really just take it safe. Try and keep your gas tank as full as possible, always above 1/2 tank to keep more weight over the rear. As well as some bags of sand or something in the trunk. Winter tires are really going to help you the most I think.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:56 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

along with tires, you could get an lsd so some sort, maybe even get a 8.8" rear from a GT is you are down for modding. the 8.8" is heavier too so that may help.

and i drove in the worst of the worst last season in my neon with decent winter tires in front and semi crappy all seasons in the back and the car and i are both still intact. even made it through an ice storm. working at a nearby ski resort, you gotta climb the hills too. i made that thing go places that people wouldnt even drive their suvs.

stay out of the deeper snow if possible. is your car a 5 speed? if so, id say you have an advantage over auto. a cheap winter beater still may be better even though you are limited in the money category. better to spend a little cash for a beater than to smash up the mustang and pay for that plus not have a car for a while
Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 AM
DJ TROLL

Originally Posted by 03shadow
along with tires, you could get an lsd so some sort, maybe even get a 8.8" rear from a GT is you are down for modding. the 8.8" is heavier too so that may help.

and i drove in the worst of the worst last season in my neon with decent winter tires in front and semi crappy all seasons in the back and the car and i are both still intact. even made it through an ice storm. working at a nearby ski resort, you gotta climb the hills too. i made that thing go places that people wouldnt even drive their suvs.

stay out of the deeper snow if possible. is your car a 5 speed? if so, id say you have an advantage over auto. a cheap winter beater still may be better even though you are limited in the money category. better to spend a little cash for a beater than to smash up the mustang and pay for that plus not have a car for a while

i dont know what an lsd is or what your talking about with an 8.8 or whatever. please explain. and yeah my mustang is a 5 speed. and i will try to save my money for a winter POS so i can keep the stang locked away. if worse comes to worst, in a couple months ill have a couple thousand saved and if i cant find a winter beater, atleast ill have a good amount of money to make my car "safe" for the winter
Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

lsd = limited slip differential. its in charge of putting power to the axles, and both sides when you burn out, slide, etc. would be better in the snow because it would put power to both wheels instead of just one like the open differential that you have now. the 8.8 inch rear end is just a larger rear end over the 7.5 inch one that comes stock. it already has an lsd in it
Old 08-25-2010, 03:36 PM
DJ TROLL

oh, ok. i always wondered why when i would intentionally burn out for friends or something why there would only be one tire mark on the road instead of two...hmm....ill look into that as well. any idea on the price of something like that?
Old 08-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

stock GT 8.8's can run anywhere from $300-600 depending on location.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:51 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

for the price of snow tires + wheels for my stang, i actually baught an 88 toyota for $500 to drive through the winter and 4 wheel with, i sold it for $1200 to buy my old 90 f350. otherwise a couple of sand bangs in the trunk and snow tires (i like the firestone winterforce/blizzak knock offs), an LSD will help but can be pricy and not needed, my yota had a lincoln locker in it which will give you better traction but you will slide around a little more with both wheels spinning

Quick Reply: best way to stay safe during winter?